Building 3D models with a Macbook Air 2011

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a budding designer who would like to have a portable computer to create small 3D models of building interiors. This is my future goal/direction that I would like to arrive at one day. I am not presently going to use my Mac for 3D modeling but would like to do so in a year or two from now.

I am totally new to Macs and I am not extremely savvy about the latest capabilities of processors and graphics cards. I have recently puchased a Macbook Air 2011 with 4GB RAM 1.8 Ghtz, i7 Processor with 4MB shared L3 Cache and 256 GB Memory. My reasoning for purchasing the most high end model was 1) I wanted one portable computer which could handle all my needs 2) To keep up with latest technology so I can keep it for as long as possible and 3) Because I think that I will be able to use it for some 3D modeling of interiors using Revit and for namely Photoshop and Illustrator.

However, there is a cheaper model, $400 bucks cheaper that comes with 4GB RAM 1.7 Ghtz Processor, i5 Processor with 3MB L3 Cache and 128Gb of memory. I have two weeks to exhange my model for this less powerful model and save $400.

Hopefully, my hopes about the Air's capabilities are not unfounded.*My hope is this:

I would like to create small interior design models, under 50 MB with textures and materials using my Macbook Air. I would also like to render the models but if worse comes to worse, I will use a desktop to render them. However, I would like to be able to build models with it. Also, i would like to edit the renderings that I create using photoshop as well as other color manipulation activities. I don't think my use of Photoshop or Illustrator will be intense, as I am not a professional at digital imaging.*

1) Anyway, will I be able to do what I want with either of the above the machines?

2) Will the i7 give me an advantage besides a slight speed improvement?

According to my research there is only 7-10% increase in speed with i7 processor. However, if my intent is not to focus on rendering but on building small models, I think what I most need is RAM. My understanding is that a lot of the calculation of rendering is handled by Graphics Card. Both of the models above have an Intel HD Graphics 3000 processor with 384MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

3) Since technology changes so fast, it might be wiser to downgrade to the lower model and purchase the next generation of Air's with better graphics. This is a large purchase so I would like to make it last as long as possible, but if my hopes of using this to build 3D models are unfounded then maybe going for the lower model will be enough to last the increasing waves of technology and still be useful four or five years from now.

Thanks and sorry for the lengthy post.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For what you intend to use the machine for, a better purchase would have been a MBP 13" or better yet, the 15" model. More money of course but a much faster machine with better graphics (15" model), more memory, larger hard drive and a built in optical drive.

If you're dead set on keeping the Air, keep the one you have as the less expensive machine has half the hard drive space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac, 15" Macbook Pro 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
I agree with chscag mate. MBP would've been a better buy. I'm a 3D modeller myself. I haven't used Revit but I use Maya, Cinema 4D and Lightwave. Also photoshop, illustrator and indesign.

The price you paid for MBA, isn't that almost the same as the 15MBP 2.0 GHz quadcore i7?

Anyway, you might want to check out Autodest (Revit) if they have any forums and see what those Revit users have to say about your machine and get some inputs as well.

Editing the renders using photoshop Im sure your current MBA can handle that easily, even the cheaper models will have no problems with it. It's still a powerful machine.

I'm a bit concerned about modeling and rendering. You also have to remember you're not just installing Revit on your machine. At some point in time you will be using other softwares as well. In my honest opinion, since you said you will not be using 3D modeling now but in a year or two, why not just get a powerful machine later on when you start modeling?

...maybe going for the lower model will be enough to last the increasing waves of technology and still be useful four or five years from now

Hhmm...not sure about this mate. I started doing 3d modeling 5 years ago using an Imac. At that time it was really powerful (in my experience). Now I don't use it anymore partly because when I have a big 3d scene, it starts to lag. It could've been the same 5 years ago but maybe since using the new MBP I got so used to it being really smooth. Also for what you'll be using it for (3D stuff), you'd rather get a new one. That's why I suggest, get a powerful one later specifically for 3D work.

In the studio we use the highend 27-inch Imac, 3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5.
At home I use the 15"MBP, 2.0GHz quad-core, Intel Core i7. I am able to compare these 2 machines when creating 3D models. Modeling, they are almost the same in my opinion and personal experience. We model floorplans, buildings, furniture, automobiles, logos and other objects. Sometimes I take home the files created on an Imac and edit them in MBP. Hardly notice the difference. The big difference is in rendering. Huge difference. The Imac is bloody fast like a ferrari!

May I just ask what you intend to use your machine for now before you do 3D modeling?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.