Liquid Damaged MacBook Pro Working Again

Reaction score
So I bought this on eBay for $560. The Macbook 5, 1 15" Pro had liquid damage and it was booting to a white screen with an apple screen, and a loading bar. Now the loading bar only went halfway and then the Mac shut down. After being unable to fix it myself, I took it in to a store that said they would fix my logic board for $280. I took it in and they said they could not fix it after about 3 or 4 days. I did not pay because they said they wouldn't charge me. I went home to see if there was at least any progress and it turns on just fine! Everything is working expect the internal microphone!!

Now my question here is, should I sell this Macbook and get another one of the same kind? Do you think it's fine, or will it mess up soon? I need to know ASAP as I do not want it to break and then I would get less money out of it. Thanks

Reaction score
I'd sell it now whilst you can. It could be a matter of time before it starts showing problems again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.40MHz, I5P, 8GBM, 500MBHD 7200
Unless you tells the new owner the full history of the MBP. I would say sell it, but be honest with the buyer. good luck !

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Now my question here is, should I sell this Macbook and get another one of the same kind? Do you think it's fine, or will it mess up soon? I need to know ASAP as I do not want it to break and then I would get less money out of it. Thanks

100% in agreement with what "makavelim3" mentioned. Sure...go ahead and sell it if that's what you would like to do. But be 100% open & honest with who you sell it to about the liquid damage, how it didn't work right for a while, and now that it's working again (but who knows for how long).

Of course...don't expect to get full used value for it...since whomever buys it will be taking a risk...and would expect a discount for taking that risk.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
I was planning on selling it to one of those people who can "fix" them for fun or whatever. I already have some people who offered $900 for it, he opened it up and everything at a store and said everything looked good. I don't know though :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was planning on selling it to one of those people who can "fix" them for fun or whatever. I already have some people who offered $900 for it, he opened it up and everything at a store and said everything looked good. I don't know though :(

What the heck don't you know??? You paid $560 for it...and you say you have "some people" offering $900 for it (I assume you communicated this computers history).

So what's the issue? You make $340 dollars profit towards another computer ($900 total)...and hopefully you've done the right thing by making potential buyers aware of the computers history.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Nobody in their right mind would pay $900 for a water damaged computer. :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.