Best way to connect MacBook to old Plasma Monitor? No hdmi, vga, dvi, just component.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - OS X Lion 10.7 - 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - Bootcamp - Windows 7
I have a MacBook with mini-dvi and a 40 some odd inch plasma monitor (long story.) this monitor doesn't have hdmi, vga, dvi, just component red white yellow, as well as red green blue. it is a 1080i monitor. i've been connecting my macbook to it via apple's "Mini-dvi To Video Adapter." this works however its annoying and not the best quality. what can i do to get the best picture?

i tried going to system preferences and then to display and playing with the external monitor's resolution and get these options:

photo-2.jpg

and

photo-1.jpg

any ideas?

thanks.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - OS X Lion 10.7 - 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 4GB RAM - Bootcamp - Windows 7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Increase your monitor Hertz from 60 to 75. I've found 60 Hertz to be pretty tough on the eyes and not very good quality.

Other than that, not much that I know of.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you're going to continue using the yellow connection for video, not much more to try beside trying to adjust the frequency as MacDude suggested above.

The S-Video provided on that Apple video adapter would give you a little bit better picture than the composite connection, but not much.

What you're basically doing by using composite is similar to watching one of those youtube videos on your computer that are 280 or 320 and blowing it up full screen - pretty yucky.

Been a few years since I had one of those TVs.

That single yellow plug you're using for the video is called a composite connection.
The maximum it will input into the TV is 480i. Don't care what it says in Displays preferences. The port on the TV is only reading 640x480. The red and white are the audio connections only.

Best way to do it, would be to use component. That's the red/green/blue connections. But to do that, you're going to need a converter - not an adapter. All those VGA or DVI to component adapters you can find all over the place for less than $10 only worked on a few older ATI video cards - primarily the All-in-Wonder cards. They will not work on anything else. Once again, you need a converter. You'll still use the red/white for audio.

The component connection will handle 720p and 1080i.

You'll need:
mini-DVI to VGA adapter to plug into the Mac
a VGA cable from there to the converter
a VGA to component converter box - something like this - link
then connect the component cable that comes with that converter to the TV.

That particular box gives the specs of the VGA resolutions it will accept and says it will output 480p, 720p or 1080i. The few reviews sound like it's a decent box for it's $30 price tag.

Although a little hard to find, this type of converter should range in price from that $30 to maybe $70.

Harder to find, and don't think I would go there, is a DVI to component converter. These typically allow higher resolution inputs into the converter, meaning you should get a better output, but you're not going to find one for less than $150-$180.

I did use one of these quite a few years ago, and the picture was substantially better than composite or S-Video - ymmv.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're going to continue using the yellow connection for video, not much more to try beside trying to adjust the frequency as MacDude suggested above.

The S-Video provided on that Apple video adapter would give you a little bit better picture than the composite connection, but not much.

What you're basically doing by using composite is similar to watching one of those youtube videos on your computer that are 280 or 320 and blowing it up full screen - pretty yucky.

Been a few years since I had one of those TVs.

That single yellow plug you're using for the video is called a composite connection.
The maximum it will input into the TV is 480i. Don't care what it says in Displays preferences. The port on the TV is only reading 640x480. The red and white are the audio connections only.

Best way to do it, would be to use component. That's the red/green/blue connections. But to do that, you're going to need a converter - not an adapter. All those VGA or DVI to component adapters you can find all over the place for less than $10 only worked on a few older ATI video cards - primarily the All-in-Wonder cards. They will not work on anything else. Once again, you need a converter. You'll still use the red/white for audio.

The component connection will handle 720p and 1080i.

You'll need:
mini-DVI to VGA adapter to plug into the Mac
a VGA cable from there to the converter
a VGA to component converter box - something like this - link
then connect the component cable that comes with that converter to the TV.

That particular box gives the specs of the VGA resolutions it will accept and says it will output 480p, 720p or 1080i. The few reviews sound like it's a decent box for it's $30 price tag.

Although a little hard to find, this type of converter should range in price from that $30 to maybe $70.

Harder to find, and don't think I would go there, is a DVI to component converter. These typically allow higher resolution inputs into the converter, meaning you should get a better output, but you're not going to find one for less than $150-$180.

I did use one of these quite a few years ago, and the picture was substantially better than composite or S-Video - ymmv.

what an amazing reply! thanks man, this is exactly the answer i've been looking for. i am going to look into this and report back. thanks!

since you seem knowledgeable in macs, would you mind seeing if you can help me with this rather new, but slightly unrelated issue, here is my post:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...-videos-lags-glitches-choppy.html#post1296923

thanks again!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Both of those fall into the:

... All those VGA or DVI to component adapters you can find all over the place for less than $10 only worked on a few older ATI video cards - primarily the All-in-Wonder cards. They will not work on anything else. ...

category.

You'll notice that one of them is even called an "ATI DVI" adapter. That's because ATI built RGB output into their All-in-Wonder video cards. Those were cards that were combo graphics and over-the-air TV signal/capture cards. They made these from the late 90s up until a few years ago. Not really sure, haven't kept up with them the last few years.

Bottom line: They will not work - end of story.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ah okay i see. i am surrently bidding on the video converter you suggested on ebay.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.