Arial Font

Reaction score
How can I replace the Arial Font collection that is standard with OSX ?
Pages and Text Edit is not allowing me to select the various styles of Arial.
As an example, I cannot switch from "regular" to "bold".
All other font collections work fine.

Thanks in advance,

Lenny

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open your Font Book.app and check to see if there are any duplicates of the Arial font. If there is, have Font Book resolve it.

If there are no dupes, click the down arrow on the Arial font in Font Book.app and see if Bold shows up. I just checked mine in TextEdit and bold works fine.
I don't have pages installed but Arial bold works just as well in MS Office Word.

OP
L
Reaction score
Chscag,

Thanks for the reply. I did delete duplicates. I tried the down arrow menu
but only "regular" appears. In the past, the dropdown had "bold", "italic" "bold italic", etc. Something has corrupted the font because all others work properly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have access to a Windows computer? Or, are you by chance running Windows from Boot Camp or a VM? The Arial font family is a free download from Microsoft along with other core fonts. Here is the LINK.

They're executable packages which is why you'll need Windows to open them. Once you open it though, the entire Arial font family is there to copy over to your Mac.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I did find a simple solution.
I just exported the Arial font from another Mac
and added it to my Font Folder. Works fine now.

Reaction score
I had the same problem got it resolved- advice....

I had the same problem after installing new operating system. I tried all the trouble shooting but it was still sticking around so what I finally did was click on the little arrow > next to the font and in the drop down click on the 'regular' versions of the font... I could see that one of them was incorrect so I just deleted that one and now it's back to normal. Hope that can help someone.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.