Configuring Apple TV on University Wifi

Reaction score
I got an apple TV a year or so ago, and it's worked well so far on my network at home. However, I just got to college, and the wifi network is shared by close to 14k students on campus. Each devise so far has had to be registered to my student ID in order for me to connect it to the wifi network. Everything has worked for the most part, except that my iRemote app won't work and, more importantly, I cannot connect my apple tv to my laptop or to the internet directly. Does anybody know how I would approach these issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
There are specific ports the ATV uses. Many organizational networks (hotels, businesses, universities, etc) don't have those ports open and may not open them. Since the ATV could be used for streaming the ATV would in effect hog bandwidth that, as you pointed out, 14,000 people share. If even 1,000 of this 14,000 did that simultaneously, the strain on the network would be quite large (the pipe is only so big, this ain't mommy and daddies house any more), therefore they don't have the ports open.

Read this post and the appropriate links. You can call the schools IT dept and see what they can do, but I don't expect you are the first person to come thru with an ATV:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-tv/246402-apple-tv-cant-find-my-mac.html#post1279618

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.