Does Microsoft Office 2004 work with Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6)?

Reaction score
I am having to upgrade to Snow Leopard - does anyone know if it will still support Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac? I couldn't find this answer on Microsoft Office Mac website. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Yes, but since it requires installing Rosetta, it will not work with Lion, should you choose to upgrade at some point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Compared to Office 2011 it is a pretty old and slow application. Lash out on office 2011 and it will be there when you do upgrade to Lion. Office 2011 is rock steady, fast, and leaves the el cheeps in its dust.

Thanks mate!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I use 2004 on Leopard. Can't imagine it wouldn't work on SL. I'm debating moving up to 2011, maybe a Christmas present...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
Yes, Office 2004 will work with Snow Leopard. My son has it installed on his machine, as we had a licensed academic copy that he installed on his new MacBook that he bought last year.

He has had some issues, however, with getting the .docx converter to download and install. Because of this, he's heading to the college bookstore this semester to get a copy of Office 2011.

Don't know if he wasn't installing the compatibility pack correctly or not, but when he was home this summer, I advised him to just upgrade. If you can, it would probably be a good idea, too. The newer version is far superior.

Reaction score
I'm running 2004 AND 2011

The thing is I like Entourage, and 2011 of course doesn't have it. I couldn't afford the version that includes Outlook in 2011, and besides my wife has it and hates it. I also can't stand SL's Mail - the IF sucks. So I have 2004 - and I like using Word 2004 because it's easier to do arty stuff - the tool bars on 2011 are messed up by comparison, or maybe it's just my old brain, but every time I try to use it for art projects I just get mad. Anyway, Entourage works great most of the time, but lately it keeps losing its ability to use color in text and background - clicking on color freezes it, and I have to force quit. I've reinstalled it, updated it, NOT updated it, and sometimes it'll start working right and then after awhile once again lose the color (my wife and I exchange emails using color for embedded replies). First I thought the problem was the OS X updates because this first happened after the latest update. So I reinstalled OS X and didn't update, and Entourage started working again. It was fine until my Mac tech told me to run OnyX - and ever since Entourage has lost/regained/lost again its color function, despite reinstalls of OS X and Office 2004. In all these reinstalls, Entourage has never lost any of my emails, preferences, rules, etc. - very steady that way. OK, that was a long story - but just wanted to be complete because I've done a lot trying to fix it. Any suggestions? (Besides going with Mac Mail or Outlook) Thanks people

Reaction score
SnowChecker & Rosetta

Forgot to add - SnowChecker doesn't even list any Office programs except Messenger (which I don't use), and when I install 2004 OS X doesn't pop open the Rosetta window asking if I want to install it because Office 2004 isn't compatible. I can't find Rosetta in OS X, not in Apps or Utilities, so I can't install it even to see if it could make Entourage work better.

Reaction score
OK, never mind for now, unless somebody's got some insight for when it happens the next time. I updated everything - OS X and 2004 - and now Entourage has regained its color function. But I was updated in everything when this issue first arose, so I expect it will rise again, and I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
I use Office 2004 on my SL 10.6.8 machine. With Rosetta it is pretty slow. I tried Open Office, but didn't like that either and it was also slow. My machine won't support Lion so it isn't an issue with keeping Rosetta going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
I am using Office 2004 with Snow on my 13" MacBook Pro i5. Ignore the directions and just download the openXML converter. You will be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.