iOS forces me to choose between interrupted sleep, or not taking emergency calls!

Reaction score
Whilst iOS's apparent absence of a Nokia-style 'profile' switcher to change your set of notification tones/volume has annoyed me for a while, last night it came to a serious head.

I'm a light sleeper. At night time, I don't fancy getting woken by any of the countless emails to either my personal or work email (I have clients from around the world, so can expect them 24/7), so I put my iPhone 4 on silent.

Last night my little sister thought she was being followed home; tried to call me for help; but I was asleep and couldn't hear her ring. Fortunately she was ok.

Apple: Do I really have to choose between not being able to sleep for constant email notifications; or my sister potentially being raped every night when I go to bed?

Of course the other solution is going through the menus and fiddling around with my email/text notifications every night. Hardly the 'sleek', 'efficient' OS Apple would like to think iOS is.

Where is the quick profile switch option? Ancient Nokias do this no problem!

Apple, this is an absolutely appalling, indefensible omission.

I wish I could shake your new CEO to tell him!

C

chas_m

I'm confused by your post. How is your iPhone supposed to know what's an "emergency call" versus just "a call"?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And, as your customers really don't require "immediate" feedback concerning whatever it is they may be emailing or texting you about "as evidenced by you putting them all on silent", I'd suggest you turn off that really stupid feature of being notified "immediately" when you get them and just put yourself on a schedule of checking them that fits into your business and work flow.

That's the first thing I do with my stuff is turn off those stupid immediate notifications. omg, I'd never get a day's work done if I answered (or even looked at) every email as they arrived throughout the day. Someone wants me "right" now, they best be picking up the phone, because if they aren't, that tells me it ain't "that" important.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.