G% Imac won't start classic

Reaction score
I get a do you want to start classic with less than 128m of RAm error, but I have 2G of RAM and when I press continue it drops classic. Any suggestions?:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Will no doubt help if you provide us with some machine details. Awful hard to guess alas. And G% tells us nothing. If it is a G5, no joy as Classic is too old.

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry it's a G5 imac 21' iSight with a 2g Ram upgrade running 10.4.1, It died. So I guess the question is moot at this point. I still have the install disks though. Does this happen to G5's often? Most forums have so many threads with problems with that unit. But it would give me a weird error when I would try to start older programs and classic would start up. It would say "are you sure you want to start classic with less than 128M of RAM, It would give a continue and a quit button, then when you click the continue button it would close classic. It started to give me errors when I would try to restart then it wouldn't restart at all. I was able to get it to restart with the system disks but am weighing whether it is a lost cause.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No G5 computer can install or run Classic OS 9 period. And iSight G5 iMacs did go through the Power Supply from time to time, but hard to diagnose with no symptoms description. As it starts up may no be that. If you have the original install discs, the silver grey ones, run Apple Hardware Test from there.

OP
J
Reaction score
That is weird because it ran in classic mode when I would use the old applications I had for awhile. Here is why I got this unit "Classic, or Classic Environment, was a hardware and software abstraction layer in Mac OS X that allowed applications compatible with Mac OS 9 to run on the Mac OS X operating system. The name "Classic" is also sometimes used by software vendors to refer to the application programming interface available to "classic" applications, to differentiate between programming for Mac OS X and the previous version of the Mac OS. Classic is supported on PowerPC-based Macs running versions of Mac OS X up to v10.4 Tiger, but is not supported on v10.5 Leopard and later, nor on Intel-based Macs running any version of Mac OS X." I did run the Apple hardware test and it came up with a RAM error so I took out the 2gig of ram and it still gave me that "are you sure you want to start "classic" mode with only 128M of RAM..." error

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
He means runs classic compatibility mode, IE the emulator inside of older versions of OSX, not boot the machine to OS9 itself. Classic will work on the G5s fine but you can not boot to OS9 vice OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.