I don't know what I'm doing OR Launchpad bites the big bullet

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. Have to click 3,4,5,6 times on the name of a folder to be able to change the name.

2. Once you do get it highlighted, it doesn't recognize the first letter you type.

3. Or once you have the name of the folder highlighted, check to see how many times you have to click the right or left arrow key before it takes.

4. Better get it right the first time you place something into a folder, because that's where it's going to stay. Just try moving an icon out of a folder. It gets stuck on the desktop and you can't move it. It just sticks in place no matter which of your Launchpad screens you scroll to. And guess what, after you reboot or log out and back in, it's right back in the folder you took it out of.

5. And why does tap to click only work about 1/3 of the time with apps that are inside a folder?

6. And why do you have to click outside the folder several times (at least half the time) to get a folder to collapse again?

This is the most frustrating piece of garbage I've ever seen on my Macs.

Yes, I've already deleted Launchpad Control - great idea, but it still has so many bugs right now it's just about useless. Everytime you install a new app, it just resets itself so you have to start all over again.

Yes, I've also already deleted the db at least twice and started over again.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I can't say that I'm having any of these issues. I can edit the name of folders without issue (I don't have some of the weird character issues you mentioned). I can move things in and out without any problems much like clicking once outside of it collapses.

Quick question - did you upgrade to Lion or do a fresh install? I know that sounds irrelevant but I noticed that LP was considerably slower with the upgrade install. In fact, Lion as a whole was a little rough around the edges relative to a fresh install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
In fact, Lion as a whole was a little rough around the edges relative to a fresh install.

I've noticed that trend as well. Given Lion's intended delivery method, I consider this a bug. A serious one at that. I have to say it, I'm really not all that impressed with the delivery of this OS. There are obviously some things flat out missed in test. The more I watch the forums, the less convinced I'll move to Lion (again) any time soon.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Found the basic problem. The MBA I got about 3 weeks ago, indicated it was 20 weeks old. Which means these things had been sitting on a shelf somewhere for awhile prior to their announcement.

After doing everything I could figure out to do, blew it away and did a fresh install. I have now found out the version of Lion that was on this MBA was not the same version as the download version in the App Store.

There are several discrepancies. The biggest was the jumbled mess of Launchpad. The second, which I kept wondering why people kept talking about a 4 finger swipe, was that the version of Lion preinstalled on my MBA used a 3 finger swipe for everything this newly installed Lion uses 4 fingers to do.

I tried using Migration Assistant without importing Settings and it still brought back the same things, so have had to blow that account away and start fresh with everything.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen shots of the one main difference:

The shipped version of Lion:
20110828-rf456gj4jekrmbs2bqfbrim696.jpg

The downloaded version:
20110828-gmi5pknkf8xejapqukjusffds2.jpg

I used the Recovery HD partition on the MBA to reinstall, not my previously saved download on USB.

I would gladly trade back for the 3 finger swipes if Launchpad worked half decent.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Interesting to know about the older version of Lion on your MBA.

My wife's MBA will arrive sometime next month. Will check when it arrives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.