No USB function when inactive

Reaction score
Hello dear people,

I have to be honest and say that I'm a pretty new Mac user, just over a year now, so my knowledge is very limited as with computers in general I'm afraid. Anyways, so I didn't really know if my question concerns soft or hardware or even if this is a big deal...

The question is that whenever I leave my computer on during the night, or sometimes just when I'm streaming TV or movies and the computer is "inactive" or whatever it makes it freeze or something. I loose control over my usb-powered speakers, keyboard and mouse. So when the computer has been on during the night and the screen goes black I have to manually restart the computer because it doesn't matter how much I click on the keyboard or mouse it just wont "wake up". Since all these devices are connection to the USB ports that's where my suspicions lie, but I'm probably wrong.

I would deeply appreciate any responses and/or possible solutions because I've been loosing a lot of data from rebooting the bad way.

Oh, and it might be important (I don't know) to know that I have a 1 year old Mac Mini, a VERY old MAC keyboard (1998) and speakers + mouse which are not of Apple origin.

Thank you

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Unplug them all and find out for sure if one of them is causing the issue.

Then try them plugged back in, one at a time to find out for sure which one it is.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, i'll do that when it happens next time. I was looking around the web and came across this thread were they talked about the problem with Safe Sleep or something. Apparently it should only effect MBP's and I'm using a Mini so it doesn't really mak sense, but the symptoms are very similar. And even if my keyboard is defekt it can't really strike out all the usb-devices plugged in?

I dunno, I wish i could describe this better but I guess I'll try what you said and then just make sure not to put my machine to sleep the next days just turn it off instead and let it rest properly.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd start off by removing the 13 year old keyboard and see if your problem disappears.

OP
M
Reaction score
Allright, I'll do that although as soon as I reboot everything works perfectly again for some time. Everything from 2-hours to 1 day until the next "fit". But I'll get a new keyboard and get back here if the problem persists.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.