Ram Upgrade?

Reaction score
Greetings! I just got my first Mac, a new Imac 27". The display is gorgeous. It comes with 4 GB of memory. My Imac seems plenty fast except for starting apps. Also, I tend to have many apps open. Sometimes it is VERY slow at rebooting. I plan to buy this:

8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for Apple iMac 2.7GHz Intel Quad-Core i5 (27-inch - DDR3) Mid 2011 Desktop/PC, CT2109102 from Crucial.com

My question is, will this give me a total of 8 GB or 12?

For the price of this upgrade this seems like a no brainer. Your comments and suggestions are welcome. Will this added memory help remedy these 'problems'?

I also have a Windows app that I need to use. How to do?

My Imac experience has been quite fun so far. LOVE the display! Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are four memory slots on the new iMacs. The top two are populated with 2 x 2 GB modules. The bottom two slots are empty. Adding the 2 x 4 GB modules should give you a total of 12 GB.

As for running Windows on your iMac, see our Sticky post at the top of the "Running Windows........." forum.

OP
W
Reaction score
There are four memory slots on the new iMacs. The top two are populated with 2 x 2 GB modules. The bottom two slots are empty. Adding the 2 x 4 GB modules should give you a total of 12 GB.
I hoped you would say that : )
As for running Windows on your iMac, see our Sticky post at the top of the "Running Windows........." forum.
Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.