App for converting m4v to wmv

Reaction score
Anyone know of one? I've found a few, but they are usually proprietary (either convert the first five minutes of the video or have a logo displayed on the video for a trial version.)

I need to turn a 1:09 hour video into a wmv. I'd appreciate your help if there is a freeware, longer trial period or open-source alternative!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since m4v is primarily an iTunes video codec, first is the matter of removing the DRM from the file. As that is illegal in the U.S., it's discussion is not permitted.

If this is a file you have converted to m4v, then I'd suggest going back to the original file and find a converter for it.

My question would be what and why convert to wmv?

OP
R
Reaction score
Since m4v is primarily an iTunes video codec, first is the matter of removing the DRM from the file. As that is illegal in the U.S., it's discussion is not permitted.

If this is a file you have converted to m4v, then I'd suggest going back to the original file and find a converter for it.

My question would be what and why convert to wmv?

I have a DVD of my cousin's wedding (the vid was made by a professional photographer.) My fiance would like to see it (she's in Europe and I'd like to send it over Skype.) She has a PC and she only knows how to make a WMV video play.

I ripped it on my Mac and was hoping there's an easy way to do the conversion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
try changing the extension to .mp4.

Windows should play that in media player.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
At least the following: iTunes, Quicktime, VLC, Total Media Theater and Windows Media Player will all play an unencrypted m4v file. I have at least 300 of them sitting on my Windows box right now and have no issue playing any of them in any of the above players.

If you have it ripped as a single m4v file, that's all she needs. There is nothing to "do" to "make" it play. If all she has is WMP, simply double clicking on the file or opening WMP and going to File - Open - and selecting the file it should play in WMP without any conversion.

If it won't play, I'd suggest the issue is one of the file not being transferred properly via Skype rather than it not being able to be played. Perhaps try opening a free Dropbox account and put it on there and give her the link for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Just tell you cousin to install Quicktime, it's free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.