Brother HL-2170W printer doesn't work after Lion upgrade

Reaction score
I upgraded to Lion, but now my brother laser printer won't print. My system is a an iMac, 2.4 ghz core 2 duo, 4gb ram. I installed the latest driver for 10.7 from Brother's website and it still doesn't show up under system preferences - print & scan - I click the "+" to add a printer, and nothing shows up. I have tried everything and redid it 5 times with no success. I even tried reinstalling from the cd-rom and I just get "PowerPC applications are no longer supported." I have it hard wired straight to the Mac with USB, no wireless. Can anyone help me out? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're going to have to completely remove the Brother printer and the older drivers before attempting to reinstall it. Once you've cleared it from the system, plug the printer back in via USB and let your iMac detect it. Once it's detected, go ahead and install the Lion drivers from Brother. After that, it should work.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You're going to have to completely remove the Brother printer and the older drivers before attempting to reinstall it. Once you've cleared it from the system, plug the printer back in via USB and let your iMac detect it. Once it's detected, go ahead and install the Lion drivers from Brother. After that, it should work.

I am running Lion but had to revert to the previous driver set to get my Brother 2170W to work.
They may have changed things, but my experience is upgrading to Lion is fine but for what ever reason the latest driver set from Brother doesn't work. Or at least it didn't for me.

OP
S
Reaction score
I did remove the printer first before reinstalling the drivers. I just can't seem to get my mac to recognize the printer at all. Razormac - So you are still using the 10.6 driver? Maybe I'll try that.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I did remove the printer first before reinstalling the drivers. I just can't seem to get my mac to recognize the printer at all. Razormac - So you are still using the 10.6 driver? Maybe I'll try that.

I hadn't downloaded the Brother update on all my Macs (all running Lion) so I was able to grab the Brother folder from one and copy it to my non-printing Mac after first deleting the updated Brother folder. Had to do some finagling, but after a restart all is good.

Some more on this topic here.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...-windows-leopard-updates-printer-drivers.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.