macbook pro unibody wont stay on

Reaction score
I have 2010 macbook pro unibody...When i power on..the white light comes on and i can hear the fans start..Then it turns off itself and 30sec later it comes on again..Screen stays black..Any advice you can give to fix would be great...Sending it back too apple isnt an option.And i know how to reflow a video chip if need be.

OP
R
Reaction score
any other advice?? it wont wont boot to bios (sorry dont know what that is called on a mac) tried cmd +s and cmd+v.. didnt work

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have 2010 macbook pro unibody...When i power on..the white light comes on and i can hear the fans start..Then it turns off itself and 30sec later it comes on again..Screen stays black..Any advice you can give to fix would be great...Sending it back too apple isnt an option.And i know how to reflow a video chip if need be.

Since it's a 2010 MBP...any chance it still has Applecare remaining on it? I know that you said that sending it to Apple is not an option...but if it does still have Applecare on it...and if something is broken...that's really the best way to handle it.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Try booting to the restore CDs. If you don't have them I would order one. If that doesn't work then you could take it to a local mac repair shop.

OP
R
Reaction score
You guys are great..with quick advice..weather it works or not..good to know im not alone.Thanks...any other advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To get the cd out try holding the trackPad down when you press the power button and hold the trackpad down for 10 seconds. if you get the disk out then try turning it off, then turn it on and at the chime hold option and insert the disk. Wait a few seconds and use the right pointer on the keyboard one time and press enter. I am not sure if that will work but it is worth a try.

OP
R
Reaction score
held touchpad then powerd on while holding down touchpad for 20 sec..didn work..it just keeps powering off..I dont get a chime or any signs of life on screen..the screen is cracked but still connected.and i dont think that would keep it from booting up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I hate to say it honestly sounds like you might have a bad logic board. Most likely an issue associated with the connection between the processor and the chip, and the chip recognizing the processor. I remember reading some problems on apple's forum regarding the 15" i5/i7 failing to start, and some users associating it with dropping(hard impact) or high heat. Was it ever dropped, or known to have exceeded operating temperatures? I'll try to look for it again.

Have you tried anything with the hdd?

OP
R
Reaction score
yes i was droped.his wife got mad and slammed it on the ground.cracking the screen..it just might be the connection to processor more than likely..this being soo..do you think if reflowed the chip it would come back? i have done reflows alot on HPs successfully.and i saw on youtube how some of the older mac pros are having the same problem..but with mine being new..if that fix will still work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
yes i was droped.his wife got mad and slammed it on the ground.cracking the screen..it just might be the connection to processor more than likely..this being soo..do you think if reflowed the chip it would come back? i have done reflows alot on HPs successfully.and i saw on youtube how some of the older mac pros are having the same problem..but with mine being new..if that fix will still work

I highly doubt it would work. From my experience, other laptops that I've opened up have "large" connections that makes reflowing easier. All the connections on the MBP are SO small, that if the connection did get damaged from the drop, I doubt reflowing would do anything but heat it up. Reflowing made my RRoD 1st gen xbox 360 last 3 months longer after the initial problem.
Plus, reflowing has the possibility of damaging something without knowing the specific problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If I were you, I would go to your local Apple store, be REAL nice to the genius bar, make friends, and see if you can get them to run a couple of diagnostic tests with their own firewire Lacie hdd. The Apple store has been VERY friendly with me, even though all of my Apple stuff are out of warranty, they still help out...though, the seniors there do know me by name... >.> $$

OP
R
Reaction score
ok..there is a local company there that repairs motherboard mac include,no matter whats wrong,and if they dont fix u dont pay,,flat rate of 250.00 ..cus i know if i go to the apple store they charge me at least 500.00 and by the time i get a led and glass screen..i could have bought a used one..Thanks to everyone!! for advice..and Keepin me from doin something STUPID! LOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might want to get a new or used one if It is a
The logic board, I think they are around 800 for a new one plus labor and a new screen is around 100 plus labor. If I were you I would get it diagnosed and if it is a bad board then consider looking a new or used one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Don't forget, you can still get some goo money if your mad MBP, either for parts(usually make more $$), or as a whole if you don't like taking it apart. I love taking stuff apart:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.