Wireless Connection Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
I live in Wrightsville Beach, NC (Wilmington, NC) where hurricane Irene just messed up everything. I lost television, phone (land line), and internet. Now I have a problem and I know very little about all of this and any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here's the stuff: 3 1/2 yr old MacBookPro, Mac OS X, Version 10.6.8, Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory - 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I connect wirelessly via an Apple Time Capsule. My internet Connection is - Time-Warner high speed cable.
I have shut everything down - Time Capsule, Modem, MacBookPro - and rebooted and I have the fastest connection I can ever remember having - but my network does not show up in network preferences and this is the only network that gives me a connection to the internet, " Apple Network f54e27 ".
It shows no security on this network. This is of course a wireless connection but what confuses me is that the green light that is supposed to be glowing on the front of my Time Capsule is not on - instead a blinking orange light is on. Numerous times I have unplugged everything and rebooted but I cannot get a green light to come on my Time Capsule. I have never seen this Apple Network before in my list of networks and I certainly did not "set it up". It works great - there's just no security and I don't know how/why my MacBookPro can surf the web and get mail - whatever - so fast with this network. The ONLY cable/wire of any kind attached to my MacBookPro is the power cable! My Modem has all the right lights blinking. When I go into "Network Preferences" and click on the "Advanced Tab" a list of three past networks that I set up is there but I cannot click on any of them and use them. Once while everything was turned on I held down the "reset" button on the back of my Time Capsule for about twenty seconds - nothing changed.
Any ideas? I am very limited in my technical skills! Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Does the TC show up when you open Airport Utility while you are connected to that network?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I agree with the reset - wondering if you might be on your neighbor's network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.