AHT and Lion

Reaction score
I just got a new Macbook Pro, with Lion obviously. However, I can't stand Lion and will be wiping the hdd and putting a copy of Snow Leopard on. However, it didn't come with an install disc, just a seperate "Recovery" partition like old Windows PC's used to, which is an awful idea. I've noticed it has an Apple Hardware Test built in, which is usually on the install discs, so I'm guessing that's probably on the Recovery partition, and not built into the hardware?
I don't wanna lose that feature as it's really good to have.

Can anyone confirm this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You may well be out of luck. it is usual for computers not to go backwards in operating systems. Lack of drivers etc.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you can (Big If) install SL on that machine, that hardware test is probably not going to be there.

What do you have against Lion? Just curious.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you just bought a new MacBook Pro with Lion pre-installed, you're probably stuck with Lion. It's likely you will not be able to install Snow Leopard because of lack of support for the new hardware. And even if you could, it will wipe the recovery partition.

OP
W
Reaction score
If you just bought a new MacBook Pro with Lion pre-installed, you're probably stuck with Lion. It's likely you will not be able to install Snow Leopard because of lack of support for the new hardware. And even if you could, it will wipe the recovery partition.

I really hope that's not the case..

Why don't I like Lion?
Lack of support is one thing, however, I dislike all the GUI changes they made, and all the trackpad gestures are different as well. Launchpad is a totally useless idea, it's not a mobile device (as in phone, etc, it technically is "mobile" lol). However, the biggest thing I dislike is Mission Control. I figured out that it still has most of the features as Exposé and Spaces, however, I MUCH prefer Exposé & Spaces to it, I like the grid layout, especially being able to drag windows through spaces, I like being able to switch between Exposé views with the F keys, it's much faster and free flowing (I still use F9-F12 like Tiger), I can go on. I really saw no need to change it.

I haven't given it much chance, but I'm sure I'll find other things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
Whitey, I had the same frustration with most of those features as well when I first installed Lion.

If you can't roll back to Snow Leopard, try not to get too frustrated with Lion. Just try getting used to Mission Control, the new gestures, etc. and before you know it, they will become second nature just like Exposé and Spaces were.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.