Hear me out and tell me what you think :)

Reaction score
Hey Guys, it's my first post on here and It seemed like a really cool place and though I should sign up, I'm sure you've seen lots of people like me on here before asking why they should switch to a mac etc...

I've been using Windows ever since I had a computer and never really ventured out of it as much to fooling around with Ubuntu (which I really didn't like) so I've basically stuck to Windows from XP all the way to 7, which is what I'm using at the moment. So recently, my uncle (who runs a design studio that almost exclusively uses Mac Pros) heard about my current computer (which is utter crap by that way)

It's specs; (Yeah I know they're horrible)
Intel Pentium T4200 2.00GHz
3GB DDR2 Ram
250GB 5200RPM HDD
Intel GMA 4500MHD

So I was in a Apple reseller today with my uncle and he asked me which one I want (I'll have to pay him back in time), I said I don't know and I'll think about it since I don't want some tool telling me that stuff they say to people who know nothing about computers and that I don't really know what to get. I'm looking in getting into photography and starting my own Youtube channel, so I'm gonna be editing HD videos I've filmed with my camera, since I've used Final Cut before in film class (School only uses Macs) But I think Ill only be using iMovie since I'll probably be just doing some basic editing in iMovie.

Gaming won't really be a big priority for me right now since I'll be sneaking in a game of Call of Duty every know and then as I'll only have like Photoshop CS5, After Effects etc... Installed on it, another thing that's really bothering me is that the 13inch Macbook Pro's got intergrated graphics which is really putting me off because I can get a PC with a Quad Core i7, 8 GB DDR3 RAM and Radeon 6770M graphics, so I can't really justify spending so much more on a Macbook Pro than the base 13 inch model, So guys... sell me the idea of getting one.

Reaction score
A couple of things:

Firstly, if you don't need a laptop, then I'd go with a midrange iMac. For about $1700 you could get a 21.5 inch iMac with 8GB of RAM and a 6770M graphics card. The screen size will be good for your photography work. I don't edit video, so I can't speak to this point, but I've got friends that have been producing amazing videos on iMacs for a long time, so I'd imagine you'll be fine here too -- unless you've been hired to edit Transformers 4, that is...

I'd also point out that comparing Macs to PCs based on hardware specs alone is a little like comparing apples to oranges (forgive the pun) because the software is so different, as is the quality of the hardware. You'll do yourself a favor by comparing performance -- the systems and your own productivity -- before making judgements based on clock speeds and whatnot.

If you do need a laptop, then you're going to want to get a Macbook Pro. I have a Macbook (sans Pro), and while it's okay for most tasks, I feel it's a bit underpowered, and would probably have a complete meltdown if I asked it to any serious graphic or video work.

I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences as well. And, as always, I reserve the right to be wrong, in whole or part, and offer no warranties. :)

Good luck

Z

C

chas_m

Everything the OP listed says "iMac" to me.

If he absolutely HAS to have a portable, I'd say "MacBook Pro 15inch."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.