• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Does Apple online require your social security number

Reaction score
yesterday, i received a very appropriate email on what appeared to be from apple correctly identifying my software and offering to renew my cloud and replace it with the new icloud at no cost.
The online invoice asked for the usual personal data but requested in addition to my credit card information my social security number in full together with my mothers maiden name.
I suspected Phishing and called the number of the apple store from the top of the invoice and that number was correct and was told that apple never ever asked anyone for a social security number.
Has anyone else been so emailed?
I offer this only as a precaution to the Forum members.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
iCloud isn't even officially released yet

Even iTunes's Apple ID just requires the usual name that matches your credit card or debit card.

So, no - Apple does not need your SS number - that definitely sounds like a phishing email

But thanks for warning users - those criminals will try anythinmg to get hold of people's sensitive data

OP
B
Reaction score
phishing confirmed

Thank you very much.
The invoice was perfect in every respect except for the required full s.s. numbers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
No Apple service requires a social security number! Plus, you should NEVER give out your social security number out online to anyone unless its a government foundation you know of/dealing with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MacMini, iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 2, AppleTV Original and a beloved Apple //e
Wow, phishing at it's finest... Yeah, that is a total scam. Generally speaking, any email asking for your social security number is a scam. Places that legitimately need your SSN are going to be having you filling out physical paperwork in person, or it's going to be some transaction that YOU have initiated. I can't think of one legit reason why anyone would send an email wanting someone's SSN.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.