Mac OS X Reject Any Install DVD

Reaction score
Yeah so as written in the title my MacBook Pro 13'' rejects any Install DVDs. I've tried my original Leopard Install DVD, my friend's Leopard Install DVD + Snow Leopard DVD and I've recently purchased a new DVD with Snow Leopard OS. The problem is that it accepts and reads all other CDs and DVDs but not the install ones. I first thought it was because I upgraded my ram but I then put back the original ones and still nothing. I can't run disk utility from startup by holding the c nor entering the startup screen with bootable options by keeping pressed the cmd button. I have verified the disk permissions and the disk itself (everything appears to be ok).
I insert the DVD, it struggles to read it (i can hear the attempt-to-read noises) then spits it out.

Here are my Mac's settings:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Running Leopard 10.5.8

Now. Anyone can give me some advice on how to make it accept the installer DVD's?
I'm 70% sure it's a software thing, maybe a virus? Well, does anyone recommend me to format from single user mode and try from there?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the NVRAM if you haven't already done so. It looks like your Superdrive won't accept a double layer DVD (install media is double layer). You've told us that you tried to use your original Leopard DVD which it should have accepted. If you've also tried a retail Snow Leopard DVD and that didn't work. I suspect it's probably the optical drive that may be failing.

Try cleaning the drive with some canned compressed air by blowing a few blasts through the opening. If that doesn't do it, you may be looking at changing out the drive. I don't believe software is at fault since you can't boot the machine with the install media. And, there are no viruses for OS X.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Mhh, that's messy. So I should install it through Remote Install from my friend's pc. He is running Windows 7. Could you please describe me the steps? I prefer to install it through ethernet as the wireless connection is protected with a wep key. What I would like to know is the settings for both Leopard and Windows 7.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Mhh, that's messy. So I should install it through Remote Install from my friend's pc. He is running Windows 7. Could you please describe me the steps? I prefer to install it through ethernet as the wireless connection is protected with a wep key. What I would like to know is the settings for both Leopard and Windows 7.

I've followed all the steps but when I reach the Boot screen it finds only my disk and no remote install option :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.