Powerbook g4 startup issue and stuck cd

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Powerbook G4 which I sold on Ebay. However the chap I sold it to sent it back saying it didn't work. Which was strange because it was working when I sent it to him.

Anyway.. when I received it back, it doesn't work! I can press Power Button and it sounds like it's starting up, but black screen and no apple noise. However the caps lock key works so the keyboard is working, and then I can 'switch it off' by holding the Power Button down. A friend of mine had a quick look at it, and we tried resetting the PMU but still no luck, however he does think there is a cd stuck in it (I mustn't have removed a cd when I sold it).

Does anybody a) know how to remove the cd when I can't even get the computer on, or b) know how to fix the problem... can't see any problem and everything seems intact.

We are a little suspicious of the person who bought it from me as he had previously bought/sold powerbooks and we have a feeling he has done something/replaced something to fix another one. Could be wrong but it's odd that it was ok before we sold it!

Hope someone can help me!

Many thanks
Emma

Reaction score
To try and eject the CD when you power on the computer immediately click and hold the mouse click button. This will work on a working computer but if your computer is not working this may or may not work correctly.

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for that, unfortunately it didn't seem to work - the laptop screen is not working and we've tried it with external monitor so it is not just the screen that is faulty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like it has been dropped by Postal Service or the buyer. Of course your suspicions could be correct. For a computer that old it is best to advertise it 'as is'.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.