iPhone 4 - "No Sim Card" issue.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had my new iPhone 4 for close to 4 weeks now and everything has been a breeze until recently. My phone seems to show that the phone has "No Sim Card Installed" which is obviously not the case.

I have read online that the iPhone has some cases of 'shorting out' with the sim card tray coming in contact with the metal framework. Could this be the case?

I have taken the phone into my provider (optus) and they have issued me a new sim card and if the problem persists they will send it away and claim it on manufatures warranty.

Has anyone else had this issue and are they any suggestions on what I should do?

Thank You

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think you have done all you can, as you said if the problem persists your carrier will replace it under warranty

Reaction score
Mine is doing it now!

I know this thread is slightly old, but as I said, now mine is doing it.
My iPhone 4 is 2 months out of warranty. It has not been mis-treated, it cost me a lot of money! The sim card was put in the day I got the phone and has never been removed. Now I get the "no sim card" issue about twice a day.
I now take the sim out when this happens and re-insert it. Phone works. Until the next time it happens.
I have read the report that putting a piece of tape on the tray ejector will solve the problem.
I am struggling to understand this! How does the tray ejector possibly touch the sim? It seems impossible, but then I don't really understand how the ejection system works.
Anyone got any theories, or is it simply that a £500 phone has lasted 14 months and that's all there is to it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.