Boot Camp installed ATI graphics?

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro. It was of the generation with Snow Leopard. It has NVidia graphics cards.

My friend recently got a new MBP (of the quad core ones of the Lion generation) which has ATI graphics card.

I was installing Windows using Boot Camp. I did not know how to do it, so he walked me through it, as he just did it a couple of days ago. He had already downloaded the Windows Support Software that Boot Camp provides. He had burned it to a CD like Boot Camp suggests.

He told me how to install Windows through Boot Camp, which I did without downloading the Windows Support Software from Boot Camp (because we both thought that since he already had it burned onto a CD, I could just use that to install the necessary drivers, etc.)

So I intalled Windows and used this CD. It installed the drivers for my NVidia card, but then also at one point during the updates it said "ATI graphics." That made me realize that maybe it was installing drivers that were made for his hardware (the new MBP) and not mine (NVidia card, etc.). So after it finished, just to be safe, I went back to my Mac and deleted the partition.

I decided to do it all over again, this time downloading the Windows Support Software myself. I tried to, but Boot Camp said that "Windows Support Software is currently unavailable." So I decided to use my Mac OSX Install DVD instead, as Boot Camp said that is another way to do it.

This time I installed windows and put in the Mac OSX Install DVD, and it installed. However, at one point during the installation it also said "ATI graphics," just like it did the last time. Everything else seems to work fine now, but I am just wondering whether the first time I did it may have left my Mac with some wrong drivers or incorrect software for my computer. I think I also saw it say "Removing old Realtek audio" and then "installing Realtek audio." Does that mean that it was overriding the old stuff I accidentally installed? What about the "ATI graphics" it listed even though I have a NVidia card?

Wouldn't all of that stuff have been erased since I deleted the partition and installed Windows all over again?

Just a bit worried I put stuff on my computer that shouldn't be there or that I am running on some faulty drivers, etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nothing to be concerned about. If everything is working OK, leave it alone. Only those drivers that are actually needed by your hardware will get installed.

Your friend had no choice but to download the driver disk from Apple because his machine is too new to run anything else but Windows 7. His driver disk should never have been used by you because your machine has different hardware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.