Please help got pranked cannot get past loading screen of death

Reaction score
Hi first of I apologize for any errors I may of made I am posting this from a iPhone. So I rush into things I saw on the net that some guy said that typing sudo rm -rf in terminal will give u awesome features so I typed it in without reading the rest only to find out when I thought nothing was happening I checked the site again and found out what I did.

My IMac is now stuck at the grey screen with the apple and scrolly rotating thing. I tried and it won't go into safe mode and there is a disc in the drive which won't come out so I couldn't try putting my snow leopard disc in. I back up my Mac every day so I don't mind restarting how can I get my computer working?

Thanks in advance

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I rush into things I saw on the net that some guy said that typing sudo rm -rf in terminal will give u awesome features...

What the "awesome" features did you expect from simply typing in a terminal command?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Congratulations! You’ve just erased EVERYTHING off of ALL the hard drives connected to your iMac! How to fix this, someone else may know.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You will have to do a fresh install of your OS. Reboot your system while pressing the mouse down, should eject the disk. Once ejected, you can insert your install media and reboot holding the C key. Then proceed with your fresh install.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
OP
P
Reaction score
Yay got disk out thanks for the help. I put in my Mac os x snow leopard cd in rebooted and tried pressing c key aswell i rebooted again and tried command key just in case thats what was ment and nothing is happening do I have to put origanal Mac cd in? When trying I heard my disc move but yer nothing happened. I'm only a teenager and don't know computers well sorry

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Yay got disk out thanks for the help. I put in my Mac os x snow leopard cd in rebooted and tried pressing c key aswell i rebooted again and tried command key just in case thats what was ment and nothing is happening do I have to put origanal Mac cd in? When trying I heard my disc move but yer nothing happened. I'm only a teenager and don't know computers well sorry

Have to hold down the "c" key while it is rebooting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Kid, don't do stuff to your computer unless you already know what the result is going to be! Read, research, ask first...

How did that reboot go this time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And keep well away from Terminal unless you know exactly what you are doing. It is a mighty powerful tool!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Wow, um... This reminds me of the time I tried to install Ubuntu and somehow wiped my harddrive. Its insane that that kind of terminal command doesn't have some kind of warning, like sudo commands.

EDIT: I see it IS a sudo.

Why didn't you read the warning that popped up? Better safe than sorry, a prime example.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.