MacBook + OS X Reboot = PROBLEMS!!!

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new to the forums as I am seeking some expert advise.

I have a MacBook that I am trying to reformat as it's been having some issues. I lost my original start up disc, but was able to borrow another set from a buddy at work. When I pop the disc into the drive on the MacBook, it automatically recognizes it as the Mac OS X Start Up Disc. I click on the Install Button which then prompts me to enter my password so we can start the reinstallation process. That's where the fun begins!

The computer goes to restart, makes the Apple sound, and then the screen stays a whitish/gray color.....then it turns black, powers off, and restarts again....and it does this multiple times until I manually turn off the computer by holding down the Power Button.

Then I tried to boot directly off the disc as I started the computer up from scratch, waited for the Apple sound, and then held down the Option button which prompted me to select between the Mac Drive or booting from the disc. I select the disc, and then the same scenario occurs as what I described above with the restarting of the computer.

Then I also tried booting directly off the disc by holding down the C button, but the MacBook isn't responding to that command at all......

So, wondering if it was the disc that was having issues, I tried it out on my other MacBook (I have two, one for work & one for play). Everything worked just fine on my work MacBook. I inserted the disc, clicked the Install button, entered my password, and within minutes it had me at the Select Your Language Screen as if I was going to do the install. I shut down the Mac....rebooted it to attempt to boot directly from the disc.....and what would you know....success!

So, I know that the disc is in working condition, however, I have a feeling it might have something due to with the versions of the MacBooks since I started digging around on the internet to only find bits & pieces of information which eventually landed me here asking you for help.

Here are the specs:

Apple Discs - Gray/White Discs officially from Apple, Mac OS X Disc 1 & 2, version 10.5.2, AHT version 3A143 - 2008 stamp on it.

Both computers run the same Processor with the same Memory....only difference is the Model Identifier....

MacBook #1 - Work - The one the disc works on - Model Identifier is 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.5.8

MacBook #2 - Play - The one that I'm having issues with - Model Identifier is 5,2 running Mac OS X 10.5.8

Does anyone have the answer as to why my Mac won't load/boot off the OS X Disc so I can get this thing back to it's original format?!?!?!?!?!?!?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a MacBook that I am trying to reformat as it's been having some issues. I lost my original start up disc, but was able to borrow another set from a buddy at work.

Here are the specs:

Apple Discs - Gray/White Discs officially from Apple, Mac OS X Disc 1 & 2, version 10.5.2, AHT version 3A143 - 2008 stamp on it.

Both computers run the same Processor with the same Memory....only difference is the Model Identifier....

Easy answer...the gray/silver disks are model specific...and only work with the model computer they were shipped with.

- Nick

p.s. Also...using/borrowing someone else's OS install disks is in violation of the Apple EULA (End User License Agreement).

OP
B
Reaction score
Easy answer...the gray/silver disks are model specific...and only work with the model computer they were shipped with.

- Nick

p.s. Also...using/borrowing someone else's OS install disks is in violation of the Apple EULA (End User License Agreement).

So basically only the install discs for a Model 5,2 will work as I apparently have the ones for a 3,1 version?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So basically only the install discs for a Model 5,2 will work as I apparently have the ones for a 3,1 version?

If the MacBook model 5,2 is the one with the troubles...then yes...only original gray/silver OS disks will work with it.

The MacBook 5,2 originally shipped with OS 10.5.6...so those grey/silver disks are not working for two reasons:

- different model MacBooks
- OS on the disks is too old (10.5.2)...needs to be 10.5.6 or later

Of course original retail OS install disks will work as well (discs purchased separately from the Apple Store). You can use OS 10.5 (10.5.6 or higher) or OS 10.6 install disks. But again...these disks need to be retail OS install disks...not gray/silver disks.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
If the MacBook model 5,2 is the one with the troubles...then yes...only original gray/silver OS disks will work with it.

The MacBook 5,2 originally shipped with OS 10.5.6...so those grey/silver disks are not working for two reasons:

- different model MacBooks
- OS on the disks is too old (10.5.2)...needs to be 10.5.6 or later

Of course original retail OS install disks will work as well (discs purchased separately from the Apple Store). You can use OS 10.5 (10.5.6 or higher) or OS 10.6 install disks. But again...these disks need to be retail OS install disks...not gray/silver disks.

- Nick

Yes it is the 5,2 that is giving me problems.

K....then I'll probably just swing by the Apple Store this weekend and purchase Snow Leopard 10.6 for $29.99 as that might be my easiest fix after all. Thanks for the help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it is the 5,2 that is giving me problems.

K....then I'll probably just swing by the Apple Store this weekend and purchase Snow Leopard 10.6 for $29.99 as that might be my easiest fix after all. Thanks for the help!

Hopefully the Apple Retail Stores are still selling OS 10.6 install disks (I know that they're still available at the Apple online store). With the release of 10.7 a couple weeks ago...the retail stores may stop stocking OS 10.6 disks at any time.

Basically what I'm saying is...maybe giving your local Apple Store a call first to make sure they have the disks would be a good idea.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.