Hard drive switch?

Reaction score
I have a 20" powerpc g5 from years back, and after a few good years the power supply and logic board went. But the hard drive was fine. I purchased an Imac and I was wondering if I could plug my old hard drive into my new mac just to recover all my files.. Please help on what my best solution would be. I just want all my files from the power pc mac on to my new imac. Thank you!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are several universal SATA/IDE to USB adapters out there. I just bought one from OWC that is pretty nice - link.

You'll be able to connect any 2.5", 3.5', SATA, IDE, ATA drive via USB.

They also have these. I have the one with eSATA because I go back and forth between my Mac and Win machines with it.

The docks are a good price. You can find an off-brand universal adapter for $10-15 less at Amazon or newegg.
I have one of those cheaper ones also. Like the better quality with the OWC adapter.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you, those look awesome!! I will definitely buy one and give it a shot. Thats something to keep for future use as well. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
Those look to be at the right price. I was looking at some of the adapters out there and they were more than the cost of an external 500gb drive.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Ooops, Didn't think about it when I put up the dock. Don't think it will work with the drive from your old PPC. Their docks are for SATA drives only. No IDE/ATA drives. So, you'll probably need the universal adapter.

And you're right, it can be a handy tool to have in your computer tool bag.

OP
M
Reaction score
More bad news, I am trying to think positive but I have a bad feeling. I was able to get a dock that could work for my drive, I plugged it in and as soon as I hit the power switch on the dock I got the click of death and my drive isnt reading it goes to power up and clicks and shuts back off and does this over and over.. I think what ever happened to my g5 killed everything... ugh :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.