Lion cant see data DVD

Reaction score
After lion upgrade from snow leopard my Imac cant read dvd with data on them, it reads Video/Musik dvd but not anything with data on them

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How were the data DVDs recorded?

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi They are install dvds from sony etc plays fine on a pc but not in my imac or in in paralles on the same imac, i have tried may dvds with data it tries to read but after 2 mins spits it out again.

But as i said video and musik play fine, so the dvd drive works.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I understand. You may have recorded them on your PC and left the disks open. In other words, so that you could continue to record on them. The disks are now incompatible for use on your Mac. I've done the same thing myself. If some of the data disks are pre-recorded install DVDs from Sony, they should be able to be read on your Mac.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi no these are factory recorded disks, it wont even read the mac install disk??

Lion has really f my mac.

How to get back to snow leopard?

I also cant share my musik with my musik system the sonos company says it not compatible with lion

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How old is your Mac? How about posting the year and model? It may be coincidental that your optical drive has failed and not the fault of Lion.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi chscag

My imac 27 inch is late 2009 i got last year in april.

The optical drive can read musik cds and video dvds so i think the optical drive is work and reading the formats, it just data dvd/cd it wont read.

C

chas_m

Whatever is going on there, I guarantee you upgrading to Lion had absolutely nothing to do with it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Chas

The optical drive worked just before upgrade to lion, now i can only read Musik/Video DVDs.
I have tried to burn a DVD+RW verbatim disc does not work.
I talked with Apple hotline this mourning he said that there are a lot of things not working with Lion.
I cant even get it to read Snow leopard original disc when booting and pressing C,
so i cant even go back to Snow Leopard.
So i am at the mercy of an Apple update som time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Every system here with Lion reads DATA DVD's just fine since Lion. It really sounds like an optical drive issue of some sort. A lot of times when a DVD drive is messing up it will fail to read DVD's but read CD's just fine.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi i reads video dvd's and musik CD's.
I found out yesterday when i tried to install a program on a CD from a company,
it only had about 10mb of data on it, when i read it on a pc.
I have just perchased a new DVD+RW verbatum it will not write to this disc.
Are ther drivers for mac for the optical drive? or programs that can check the drive.
The drive does not show in finder when i put a disc in.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't buy DVD+RW media. I haven't found a brand yet that works well on either a PC or Mac. They're a waste of money. Only buy DVD-R or DVD+R.

Getting back to your problem... It sure sounds like the drive is failing. As I stated above it may be coincidental that it's happening at the same time you installed Lion. If you want to wait until OS X 10.7.2 is released that's fine. But in the meantime, you can always buy an inexpensive USB external optical drive and use it instead. You can even go back to Snow Leopard that way if you wish.

OP
J
Reaction score
After the xlion upgrade i tried press c on restart nothing happens, being new to mac i ask what should happen.
I was looking to install snow leopard again but the snow leopard install dvd wont read??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What do you mean pressing 'C' on restart? Are you trying to boot from a system disc or what? Pressing 'C' after the chime only works when a bootable DVD, such as system disc, DiskWarrior etc. is in the drive.

Are you placing the SL disc in the dive, rebooting and holding down 'C' after the chime, is this a retail install DVD of Snow Leopard, an original system disc that came with the machine when new and again, or what? Also if this is an iMac or MacBook, does the optical drive in fact work?

OP
J
Reaction score
After i updated from snow leopard to Xlion my imac will only read musik cd and video dvd discs, so i was trying to see if i could reboot press C and maybe make a clean install of Snow Leopard using my original Mac Snow leopard DVD, but it just ejects after about 1 min it tries to read but no go.

So it looks like i am stuck with X lion untill an update.

The Apple hot line guy told me there was many things X lion was not compatible with.

I wish i had not upgraded, and want to go back to Snow L.

The optical drive worked fine just before upgrade.

I have a 27 inch imac from late 2009 perchased new in 2010 April

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM
I thought Apple care had a line for Lion only issues for those who just bought Lion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please do not post the same subject thread twice. Always continue posting back to the same thread you started. Your posts have been merged into one thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.