Problems pairing bluetooth headset to iBook.

Reaction score
I wrote this all recently on my blog but it may be of use to people here as well.

So to summarise the results of my bluetooth headset pairing experience on my iBook here it is in point form. This was all in aid of using Skype with a bluetooth headset. You can read the previous blurb here pairing problems

1: Had bluetooth adaptor that I purchased in Hong Kong. Tried to pair headset. iBook said hardware not found to support headset.

2: Decided it must be the adaptor so I went out and bought Belkin Bluetooth adaptor which said it supported headsets. Tried to set up new bluetooth device as "other" and still it said hardware does not support it.

3: Tried downloading all the latest bluetooth software and firmware from Apple - still no joy (Dont give up reading go to the bottom).

4: Researched bluetooth headsets online and found one fellow who said the iBook needs the D-Link USB Bluetooth Adapter DBT-12. So I ordered that from Amazon. Bluetooth adaptor arrived last night - plugged it in and still no option for headset and no hardware found to support it. Frustrated? You bet.

5: Started to think it was my iBook being out of date but it is only a year and a bit old so....

6: In one last attempt I checked Google again and found that you need Bluetooth firmware 1.5 which I thought I had downloaded point 3 above.

7: Went to the Hard Drive on my Mac, selected Applications, Utilities and Bluetooth firmware updater. Ran it. It did indeed update my firmware to 1.5 (Meaning my efforts in point 3 above were misguided). Restarted and wohoo! When I went to add a new bluetooth device it actually worked. So I then managed to pair the headset.

8: Went to the System Preferences area and selected "Sound". Made the headset the default for incoming and outgoing audio.

9: So it works!! BUT havent had a chance to try it with Skype and so I need to work on that.

10: Finally - I thought maybe my other bluetooth adaptors might work with it as the DLink was expensive and I could still return it. However the other adaptors did not work so I can only presume you do need the DLink adaptor to make it work. So I will have to flick the other two.

That's it. Hope it helps someone. Let me know your comments and problems. Now I think I just need a better headset...

M

mozeydozey

I have the same exact problem with my D-Link DBT120. I am trying to link it with my Motorola Bluetooth 850 Headset. I am running OS X.4.5 and do not see Firmware Updater anywhere on my hard drive. Only Bluetooth File Exchange. Any suggestions? My main objective is to use this setup for Skype without having to use a hardwired headset (leash). Thanks.

parrott said:
I wrote this all recently on my blog but it may be of use to people here as well.

So to summarise the results of my bluetooth headset pairing experience on my iBook here it is in point form. This was all in aid of using Skype with a bluetooth headset. You can read the previous blurb here pairing problems

1: Had bluetooth adaptor that I purchased in Hong Kong. Tried to pair headset. iBook said hardware not found to support headset.

2: Decided it must be the adaptor so I went out and bought Belkin Bluetooth adaptor which said it supported headsets. Tried to set up new bluetooth device as "other" and still it said hardware does not support it.

3: Tried downloading all the latest bluetooth software and firmware from Apple - still no joy (Dont give up reading go to the bottom).

4: Researched bluetooth headsets online and found one fellow who said the iBook needs the D-Link USB Bluetooth Adapter DBT-12. So I ordered that from Amazon. Bluetooth adaptor arrived last night - plugged it in and still no option for headset and no hardware found to support it. Frustrated? You bet.

5: Started to think it was my iBook being out of date but it is only a year and a bit old so....

6: In one last attempt I checked Google again and found that you need Bluetooth firmware 1.5 which I thought I had downloaded point 3 above.

7: Went to the Hard Drive on my Mac, selected Applications, Utilities and Bluetooth firmware updater. Ran it. It did indeed update my firmware to 1.5 (Meaning my efforts in point 3 above were misguided). Restarted and wohoo! When I went to add a new bluetooth device it actually worked. So I then managed to pair the headset.

8: Went to the System Preferences area and selected "Sound". Made the headset the default for incoming and outgoing audio.

9: So it works!! BUT havent had a chance to try it with Skype and so I need to work on that.

10: Finally - I thought maybe my other bluetooth adaptors might work with it as the DLink was expensive and I could still return it. However the other adaptors did not work so I can only presume you do need the DLink adaptor to make it work. So I will have to flick the other two.

That's it. Hope it helps someone. Let me know your comments and problems. Now I think I just need a better headset...

G

Greeny

mozey, you have to download the Bluetooth Firmware Updater from Apple. Here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bluetoothfirmwareupdater12.html

It does appear that a D-Link module is necessary. I have one made by Tanlang and it's not working. My Bluetooth Setup Assistant recognizes it, but says it won't work with headsets. The Firmware Updater doesn't even recognize it, though. I don't have a D-Link module yet, so I can only assume that's the problem.

M

mozeydozey

Greeny said:
mozey, you have to download the Bluetooth Firmware Updater from Apple. Here's the link:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bluetoothfirmwareupdater12.html

It does appear that a D-Link module is necessary. I have one made by Tanlang and it's not working. My Bluetooth Setup Assistant recognizes it, but says it won't work with headsets. The Firmware Updater doesn't even recognize it, though. I don't have a D-Link module yet, so I can only assume that's the problem.

THAT'S IT!!! Thank you soooo much. Once it was installed, I was able to identify the headset, then all I had to do was select it under "Sound" in the System Preferences. Thanks again!!!

G

Greeny

mozeydozey said:
THAT'S IT!!! Thank you soooo much. Once it was installed, I was able to identify the headset, then all I had to do was select it under "Sound" in the System Preferences. Thanks again!!!

Glad to help - I assume you've got the D-Link adapter?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.