Help -- folder with question mark at startup -- can't log in

Reaction score
Okay, so I've figured out that my iMac can't find my startup disk. Here's what I've done:

I tried unplugging all peripherals and restarting -- no help.
I tried holding option key down while restarting -- no help.

Now I'm trying to do 'first aid' on my disk. I installed the Leopard Install DVD, went to disk utility, but can't find my HD disk on there. Only the install DVD shows up on the left. How can I do first aid to the disk if I can't find it?

Any help/suggestions apreciated. I do have time machine backing up my data to an external HD, but I'd rather not reinstall Mac OS 10.5.8 unless absolutely necessary. TIA

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like your hard drive has died. Not much you can do if that is indeed the case. The only cure is to swap it out - and that's not an easy job to do with an iMac. If you feel up to it, you can find the instructions at www.ifixit.com. The entire front glass and display panel must be removed in order to get at the inside of the iMac. It might be best to let an authorized Mac dealer or Apple store do the job for you.

By the way, good for you making backups. At least you can restore the data to a new hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.