System recommendation on boat

Reaction score
Hi all,
I want to setup an iTunes system on my boat.
My radio is an Alpine CDA-118M which has very good iPod integration. The problem is I want to have access to my 2TB HDD of music.
It would be nice to take advantage of the Alpine iPod controls but I think the only way to access my entire library will be to install a small computer running iTunes with an AUX input to my Alpine.

The hopes that I would be able to control my music through my iTouch or iPad wirelessly. I really need a minimum configuration system as it's only purpose will be to access the HDD with iTunes and play through the alpine. I have no room for a monitor so I hope I could use my iPad as a monitor if possible.

The system could be Mac or windows.

Any suggestions on what the system would look like?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Drive and Mac Pro (Early 2009)16GB RAM 2TB x4 Hard Drive
I don't think you need a computer. it too complicated for that kind of need

How about Wireless network hard drive to store music library

Use your iPad with the app called "Air sharing HD" to access your music library

OP
D
Reaction score
It looks like Air Sharing HD is used to mount my iPad to another computer.
What I want to do is access a remote HDD (via NAS would be great) from my iPad and play the songs using iTunes on my iPad. My iPad would be connected to my Alpine unit. Does Air Sharing work in this way? The description of the App doesn't sound like it... Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Drive and Mac Pro (Early 2009)16GB RAM 2TB x4 Hard Drive
it can browse files too. see this VDO. If you don't like this app I'm sure there are other apps. I'll tell you if I could find any interesting app.

wireless Storage might be expensive you can get Router with USB that allow you to connect USB storage and share file in it. See this VDO

I'm using similar set up in my house for Music/Movies Library because I have many computers, iPads and other devices. So I don't have to transfer Music/Movies files arround. it's great for home entertainment and should works on boat too.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Ken, that's great news. Sounds like a much simplier setup than I was thinking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.