iphone 4 Unlocked for Europe

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forums so a quick hello to everyone.

I'm moving to Germany soon and wanted to get 2 unlocked iphones however I'm trying to avoid spending $600 on each one straight from the apple store.

My question is....do I really need an unlocked phone from Apple or will a phone unlocked with a "Gensym" (sp) card work? I don't need them to be jailbroken or anything like that. I just plan to be traveling alot throughout the world so want to be able to use my phone all the time and get it updated with no worries.

Appreciate any feedback that you can give.

Thanks.:D

Reaction score
Hello,

With factory unlocked iPhones, you will be fine with firmware updates/upgrades. Software unlocks get lost in restores or upgrades and that's why software unlockers need to be careful. Factory unlocked does not require a jailbreak.

Bear in mind that if you want to unlock using software, you need to jailbreak it first.

Go with the factory unlocked iPhone, it will be a lot easier and you won't run into any issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The OP stated that he wanted to avoid paying $700 for a phone directly, which is how much it will cost after taxes for a 16 gig. Though I can't answer the question as to whether it will work using the method described, I do know that in the past, one was able to call ATT and speak to someone in customer relations and ask them to send an unlock code.

I did this with my 3G a couple of years ago. I realize that it defeats the purpose of having a contract, and that they don't really want to do this for customers, but it is still possible that they'll do it for you if you tell them that you travel internationally a lot, and don't want to pay roaming fees each time you do.

Give it a try, nothing to lose.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.