Accessing Sharepoint via Macs OS - ActiveX?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to convince my firm to allow us to use Macs for work. We all work from home and our main system we access via the web is SharePoint Foundation 2010.

We use datasheet view frequently so worried about Active X problems.

Are there any issues I should be aware of including above.

Cheers,
Greg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum. Does not belong in "Running Windows........".

C

chas_m

Bad news and good news.

Bad news: there is NO native Mac browser that will run ActiveX. None. As in nada, zilch, zip, zero.

Good news: every Mac sold in the last five years can run Windows (either natively or in a virtualization environment), and thus IE, the only browser that really supports ActiveX. You can even run IE for Windows on a Mac using CrossOver.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi chas_m,

Thanks for your response so just to confirm can run IE for Windows on the Mac OS using CrossOver or do you need to still run Windows in a virtualization environment?

Thanks

OP
S
Reaction score
Any good forums / instructions to setup a Virtualization environment on a mac?

C

chas_m

Hi chas_m,

Thanks for your response so just to confirm can run IE for Windows on the Mac OS using CrossOver or do you need to still run Windows in a virtualization environment?

You can run IE for Windows on the Mac using CrossOver. You do not need to run Windows in a virtualization environment just for that one purpose.

OP
S
Reaction score
CrossOver

Thanks for this -

The concern I have is having a look at the CrossOver website they say on that that IE7 and 8 only have a Bronze Medal which is defined by - The Bronze is awarded to applications that install and run, and that can accomplish some portion of their fundamental mission........

I just need to make sure SharePoint (ActiveX component) works in CrossOver on IE.

Thanks guys.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It may or may not work well in Crossover. You'll just have to try it out to see. However, Crossover is not free and while it does run some Windows apps and even games sufficiently, it still lacks the real feel of Windows and has some bugs. I have a registered version and no longer use it because of that.

There is also Parallels and Fusion which do very well in virtualizing Windows. Again, though they're not free. However, you might consider using VirtualBox a free program from Oracle. It doesn't have the frills of the pay programs but it will run Windows in a virtual session and therefore IE.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could try WineBottler - it's free so it might be a good place to start. Instructions here on how to set up IE with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.