Outlook 2011 HELP - Deletes all messages from exchange server.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I've got a problem that I'm at my wits end with. I have a user who has a Mac and Office 2011. We are running an Exchange 2007 server and have her email setup in Outlook 2011. Recently, a change was made (don't know what) that has caused all her email to immediately be moved from the inbox to some ridiculous "on my computer" folder.

This wouldn't be a problem if it wanted to just copy all new emails to the "on my computer" folder, but this is not the case. Outlook is literally moving/deleting the original message from the exchange server! There is NO rule setup to do this, yet it does it anyway. On her iphone, messages will come in and disappear 5 seconds later (but only when Outlook is running). Same thing happens with Web Access (OWA). PLEASE, can anyone tell me how to defeat this evil software!? I feel like Outlook 2011 is trying to make our exchange email act like POP3 email!

Thanks,
Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Verify that the email account in question is not actually setup as a POP3 account in Outlook. Outlook > Preferences > Accounts. Highlight the account in question and make sure it does not say POP Account in the header at the top of the window.

I don't have an exchange account (mine are all POP3) so I can view the exact preferences that are available to you, but it sounds like a box is ticked that removes the mail from the server after receiving. Click the Advanced tab at the bottom of the Accounts window and see if there is an appropriate setting in there that can be changed.

Reaction score
Did you find an answer

I am having the same problem. I have done nothing that I thought would reroute my email or move it to this folder. If you have found an answer please direct me to where you found the answer.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Outlook 2011- deletes all message from server

I've just started using Outlook Mac 2011 and have this exact problem. I've search everywhere for an answer with no luck. Did anyone ever get this resolved?

Reaction score
Messages deleted on server

Hi everyone.
I have the same problem. I can recover all my contacts, calendar, notes, e-mail.... from my time machine backup, but as soon as I connect my Outlook client to the exchange server, everything is deleted on the Outlook client.
If I use and export while offline to "backup" all the data, then I go online so everything is deleted on local, and then I try to import the olm file, what happens is that for example all the contacts are located on My Computer and therefore are not synchronized to the server that is what I want. This way, I would be able to have all the contacts on my BlackBerry in sync with my Outlook client on my MacBook Pro and with the Exchange Server.

Anyone does have any tip?
I'm working on it since yesterday, but not success so far.

Reaction score
same issue

I have the same problem and my computer is definitely configured to use Exchange Server. In going through all the menus that are no options to either remove or retain messages on the server. I have installed Outlook 2011 on 2 different macs and one of them keeps the messages on the server while the other deletes them so it seems there must be some hidden configuration that controls this.

Reaction score
Check under Tools->Mailing Lists

It is easy to get a rule created that moves all Inbox mail to On My Computer... Took me a couple of days of searching to find this. The rule matches your own email address and moves everything just after it comes in. Delete/uncheck the rule and you will be fixed.

Reaction score
That solved it.

It is easy to get a rule created that moves all Inbox mail to On My Computer... Took me a couple of days of searching to find this. The rule matches your own email address and moves everything just after it comes in. Delete/uncheck the rule and you will be fixed.

Nice! That was the problem I was having. Thanks.

Reaction score
Nice! That was the problem I was having. Thanks.

Had the same exact problem, removing the rule stopped this issue. The rule that was showing was something for quizno's subs which was really odd.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.