Why does my mac seem to have slowed down

Reaction score
Ok so I have had this mac, the 21.5 inch $1499.99 model, for about 3 weeks now, and from the day I got it until the last 4-5 days it has seemed a little slowed down or choppy. Like when I click my mouse to get out of sleep mode the rainbow circle comes up for like 5-10 seconds and then even scrolling down web pages it feels a little choppy. What is the cause for this? Also when I first got this I had snow leopard I think on it and it was super fast and 2 days after I got it I put on Lion and right after I got Lion it seemed to slow down, so could it be that Lion is making it progressively slower? I want the mac to be the way it was when I first used it, I got it because I knew how fast and sleek and smooth it was but it isn't acting like that now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah
Simple stuff first:

There's an update out for Lion; 10.7.1. Run Software Update and try that.

Then, open Disk Utility and select your Hard Drive from the list on the left. Click 'Repair Disk Permissions' and let it run. Don't disturb the process.

Try those first and see what happens. :)

M

MacInWin

Are you closing your applications? The Red X does NOT close them, they just go into the background. If they are running there, they take resources. When leave an application, close it from the menu, don't click the X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I close those programs that I don't want to be open in the background. Some I want to be open, for instance excel so that it opens new files very rapidly. When I am completely finished with excel files I then close the program completely.

M

MacInWin

The more things you have running in the background when it goes to sleep, the more time it has to take to restore those running things to where they were. It can take a few seconds for each one to get back to the earlier state, during which time the response can be a bit choppy. I try to close everything before i put my MBP to sleep so that it wakes up quickly. The only delay I see now is the time it takes to reconnect to my wireless network, which is more the wireless modem than the MBP.

Reaction score
can you check activity monitor and see if there is a process that is consuming most CPU/RAM?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.