<Help> Mac Mini 2011 - Problems with viewing on Samsung Monitor!

Reaction score
My screen is not working properly after being connected to my new Mac Mini 2011. Picture is blury, and not sharp and smooth. I can especially see it on pictures with details and fonts.

This is a brand new Samsung T27A531 27" LED 1080p monitor. It has a flawless picture on everything except my Mac Mini.

I hooked it up with an HDMI cable since both have ports and it supports sound transfers.

Feel I tried everything to fix this, but nothing helps.

I don't know what to do... please help me!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Feel you tried "everything" - it would help to know what that "everything" is so that we're not suggesting something you've already done.

The very first thing you should do is open up System Preferences - Displays and set the proper resolution for that monitor - should be 1080p. Try other's as well.

OP
K
Reaction score
Sorry for not clarifying better. This is what i have tried:
-change to all possible resolutions.
-calibrate screen
-manually change back to font smoothening through terminal.
-hook it up via a dvi cable (the screen has not a direct output for dvi, but it came with a similar but longer hdmi to dvi cable like apple). Basically both ends have hdmi input still.

possible solutions:
-get a thunderbolt to HDMI
-get a hdmi to vga

In screen settings i can only see 1080p, 720p.... etc down 410p and then the actual resolution ranges come up.

Is it preferred to use the thunderbolt output on the mac mini? (my monitor has vga, "dvi" via hdmi, and hdmi outputs) could this be the solution?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Next up:

Unplug the cable and replug it.

Try a different HDMI cable.

Try it on different HDMI port on the TV.

Try the Mac on another TV.

Make sure what you're seeing is not the difference in the way Windows and OS X render fonts.
Fonts under OS X are not going to be as crisp as what you see in Windows.
I would "assume" this is not your issue since you've stated pictures are blurry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.