Why is my external monitor stuck in power save mode?

Reaction score
I am connect a VGA Dell monitor to my 17" MBP with a DVI>VGA connector. It was working fine. I plugged it in for the first time in a week and now it wont work. The display goes on OK but when I connect it, the green power button goes orange and it goes into power saver mode. It tells me to hit the keyboard or mouse to work but I'm doing that and nothing happens. The computer is clearly detecting the display. It shows up in Displays in System Preferences and I can drag my mouse and windows to the other screen. The external monitor is just stuck in a black, power saver mode.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried the reset on the monitor ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Actually mine did the same (viewsonic) I just haven't had the patience to figure it out and one of my external drives is no longer detected... My smaller (older viewsonic) seems to be working tho..

OP
O
Reaction score
I held down some menu button and it started working again. Im not sure what happened. I guess the future lesson is try any and all permutations of pushing down buttons before deciding to trash something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.