• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Doctor Follow Up Visits... Free?

JRV

Reaction score
I just want to check with people here. I've been both insured and uninsured in my life and every time I've seen a doctor the follow up was always free. Two weeks ago I went to the eye doctor and I was prescribed eye drops. I paid my fee for the visit and the doctor schedule a follow up. Today when I went in for the follow up as I was leaving they said I had to pay them again full price for the follow up.

Is this normal or are they pulling a scam here? In the end they waived the fee.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're lucky they waived the fee. Doctor follow up visits are generally not free unless they have already billed your insurance company for the follow ups. Sometimes an in office surgical procedure (like laser eye surgery - Lasik) will include a follow up for free. The follow up is probably included in the initial fee anyway. :)

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
You're lucky they waived the fee. Doctor follow up visits are generally not free unless they have already billed your insurance company for the follow ups. Sometimes an in office surgical procedure (like laser eye surgery - Lasik) will include a follow up for free. The follow up is probably included in the initial fee anyway. :)

I suspect that they were trying to pull something because they waived the fee pretty quick. Basically as soon as I challenged it. My original visit was $75 and I was prescribed eye drops. The doctor scheduled the follow up to check the results of the drops. I was there 5 minutes. At the front desk before leaving they told me I owed another $75.

I've never paid for a follow up in my life being both insured and uninsured. I actually saw a different eye doctor for a second opinion and she did not charge for the follow up. Her original fee was cheaper also.

I believe my eye doctors office was attempting to "upcode" me which is a typical insurance scam. It happens when doctors bill insurance for comprehensive services when it was only a brief visit. Of course this only works if the patient has insurance because both parties(patient, insurance) are unaware of the scam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Or possibly the front desk person was mistaken and thought you hadn't been billed the $75 for the first visit. It could be an honest mistake on their part. I'm just saying...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Whatever the reason, I commend you for being aware. Most folks who do have insurance (especially those on Medicare) almost never question the fees that are charged.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
Whatever the reason, I commend you for being aware. Most folks who do have insurance (especially those on Medicare) almost never question the fees that are charged.

The only reason I was aware of it was because I am uninsured and they tried to get the money from me. Had I been insured I'm positive they would have told me I owed nothing and just billed my insurance. I thought it was very odd that they tried to charge me the same amount for the follow up as the original and more in depth visit. A 5 minute follow up being billed the same as a longer more advanced examination? I don't think so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
The only time I've ever gotten a subsequent visit waived is when they did surgery and were checking how I healed. In a case like you had today, I would have expected to pay for the visit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I can only comment on my personal experiences. Based on them, I've found that the more expensive the procedures ie: surgery, root canal, colonoscopy, etc... have not had a follow up billed separately. My assumption is that they charge the whole thing at once and don't need to add to the bill incrementally. Those are procedures with a general fixed cost barring complications. Less expensive stuff like foot problems, allergies, infections, etc... where you just get a prescription or something, seem to charge for a follow up. Those are episodic or incremental (open ended) situations where subsequent visits are not necessarily guaranteed and could either never happen or go on indefinitely. The charges compound as differentials and treatments run their course. Anyhow, who knows. Guess it's always a good idea to ask questions first if there are concerns, and to read all the stuff you fill out and sign in the waiting room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Follow up's are usually not free unless you don't want it, and the insurance demands that you be seen(such as post surgery checkups)(someone pays for it, like your insurance, but it does nothing to your premium). We pay $15 for any kind of visit we have, as well as $15 for any kind of medication. I've seen some other people who pay much more into their insurance, and still pay a lot more...I know, they might be a higher risk to the insurance...blah blah blahhhh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2015 15" rMBP, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB Storage, AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 10.11.1
Meh. Just move to Canada :p

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
Follow up's are usually not free unless you don't want it, and the insurance demands that you be seen(such as post surgery checkups)(someone pays for it, like your insurance, but it does nothing to your premium). We pay $15 for any kind of visit we have, as well as $15 for any kind of medication. I've seen some other people who pay much more into their insurance, and still pay a lot more...I know, they might be a higher risk to the insurance...blah blah blahhhh.

Well in my case the doctor prescribed eye drops and he scheduled the follow up not me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Well in my case the doctor prescribed eye drops and he scheduled the follow up not me.

Unfortunately, "follow ups" aren't billed for how much work a doctor does on you. A person gets stuck for a "follow up" charge when he takes up a time slot on a doctors schedule, regardless of how long that slot takes to complete.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
Unfortunately, "follow ups" aren't billed for how much work a doctor does on you. A person gets stuck for a "follow up" charge when he takes up a time slot on a doctors schedule, regardless of how long that slot takes to complete.

That is simply not true but I'm sure it is what they want you to think. I have been to other eye doctors and they never bill for a follow up they schedule. In fact this very office has been making adjustments to my contact lenses. I had to have my contacts adjusted 4 times now since getting them. Funny how they never billed me for all the follow up visits which easily go sometimes 20-30 minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That is simply not true but I'm sure it is what they want you to think. I have been to other eye doctors and they never bill for a follow up they schedule. In fact this very office has been making adjustments to my contact lenses. I had to have my contacts adjusted 4 times now since getting them. Funny how they never billed me for all the follow up visits which easily go sometimes 20-30 minutes.

That's your doctor's own way of doing things. Each eye doctor can be different. I've never had 1 eye doctor that handles things the same as the past. Usually though, from my experience, the more you pay, the better the results. There are exceptions to everything! And most eye doctors are hired in to work for a hospital/location and work on their own, which is why they don't have to take a specified fee from customers, and can also change the rates if they so chose.

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
That's your doctor's own way of doing things. Each eye doctor can be different. I've never had 1 eye doctor that handles things the same as the past. Usually though, from my experience, the more you pay, the better the results. There are exceptions to everything! And most eye doctors are hired in to work for a hospital/location and work on their own, which is why they don't have to take a specified fee from customers, and can also change the rates if they so chose.

And on what planet is it legit for doctors to change their fees without notice? Or to randomly decide when they will bill a follow up and when they won't?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
And on what planet is it legit for doctors to change their fees without notice? Or to randomly decide when they will bill a follow up and when they won't?

When did I say without notice? A doctor who is hired in/contracted in, and works for himself, like a lot of opthamologists, can set their own patient fees. Thats all I said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1

Unless you signed a contract that specified you get unlimited free follow ups for buying lenses from the guy, I'd imagine the small business can choose who and what to bill as they see fit. And you received 4 adjustments and no additional bills? You are fortunate you received one for free, let alone 4. How many times do you expect to see a professional for $75? Why do you feel entitled to multiple free follow up visits from this business, and why do you feel the Doctor is mandated to give you his time on an ongoing and open-ended basis for free? I'll never get this mentality. Vote with your wallet and don't go back. They'll be happy to lose you as a time drain, and you'll feel all vindicated and empowered. Problem solved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.