early mac mini 2009 question

Reaction score
Hello,

I just added 8gb of ram to my early mac mini running osx 10.5.something
I did install the firmware that allowed 8gb before. Now it says 8 gb in the system box.

The question is should this mac with the 8gb ram and a external 3tb hard drive (that I also have that works with NTFS) be good enough to use as my main computer for a while. I would like to buy a new amazing mac tower in 3-4 years I hope this works for a while.

What else can you really do to a mac mini to upgrade it? Would a solid state hard drive be worth the price?

Thanks,

GonzoMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Seems you've done just about everything in realistic terms to upgrade your Mini, except perhaps the hard drive. Be wary of putting a faster 500 Gb SATA drive in because it spins faster (7200 rpm) and may cause excessive vibration.

To the second part of your question - I would suggest that your Mini will last and work well with its present configuration for many years.

Solid state - it will be the way of the future, but why not wait until you get your Mac Pro in which you can fit up to four SS drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.