Streaming iTunes content to AppleTV without internet connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
OK, so here's my idea. I have been trying to stream my iTunes media from my iPad to my TV by way of my NetGear Wireless Router. I get connection to my ATV to my router, but without the internet connected, my Apple TV doesn't come up on the list to stream from my iPad in iTunes. Will this not work WITHOUT an internet connection?
The reason I am doing this is because I want to share my hunting videos with my hunting friends from my iPad to my camper Apple TV and TV, and there won't be internet access in the wilds of Montana
PS, my wireless router is a NetGear Router Model WNDR 3300

Any help would be appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Nope, you have to have an internet connection. The ATV has to log into your iTunes account to validate that you are you regardless of where you stream the media from. It's a pain, but it is what it is.

JBing the ATV may offer some help though.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmmm, now I just came from Best Buy, our Apple outlet, and asked their top tech this question. He said that I do not have to have an internet connection. Now I'm really confused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've tried it, it doesn't work. The ATV needs to log into your account to do pretty much anything.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm, so much for the Geek Squad. Don't let them in your house. They'll have water coming out the conduit like on the 3 stooges....LOL

OK, so that won't work. Maybe one of you Mac Pros can give me an idea of how to accomplish what I want to do......Play my iPad Videos on my TV in my camper without internet. Is there a simple type of router that would work to do this? I have the HDMI adapter from Apple, but I don't want to string 30' of HDMI cable or stand by the iPad for an hour playing the 2 minute videos one by one.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is JBing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jail Breaking.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AhHa, I thought that might be what you meant. Is it safe to do that without trashing the ATV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never done it so I can't comment.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, so I did a test with my in house router. It's my regular router I use every day. I disconnected the internet cable and it still works without the internet. So I guess the answer to my question would be....Yes, it will work with some routers, but not all of them. Mine is a Westfall from CenturyLink
Thank all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Huh. I'll have to try it again. Last time I tried was in a hotel and god only knows what they were using for a router.

hYu

Reaction score
Apple tv homeshare streaming definitely can work without internet!!

Hi guys, just joined a moment ago. I thought I'd put this up because it was such a MAJOR pain in the butt to find the answer to this problem.

YES, it is 100% possible to use iTunes homesharing and stream all your iTunes content from your Mac/PC to the Apple TV. HOWEVER, you do initially need to connect it to the internet and "register" it for homesharing. After that, no freakin' problems. Works like a dream! Now I can access all 100GBs of movies, anime, shows, podcasts, music and photos from my TV. Totally awesome!

The area that I happen to live in has pathetic internet access 'cause its about just 500 metres or so out of range of the nearest local access point. So the only way to get internet is through a 3G (or dialup :p).

Luckily I happen to have a 3G pocketWIFI device which acts as a portable router with internet access.
1. I connected the Apple TV to the pocketWIFI (WITH INTERNET ACCESS) first, went into Settings > Computers > Turn on Homesharing.
2. I then follow the prompts to set it up etc. Once you finish, DO NOT turn off homesharing otherwise you're probably gonna have to do this again, which was a total ordeal for me due to wireless problems.
3. At this point, you have to go to the network settings and disconnect it from the internet, otherwise it will keep searching for rentals, movies, youtube, etc.
4. Connect to your home network router with NO INTERNET ACCESS. Make sure it is a fairly good router with a strong solid connection. Mine is a relatively crap Netgear MBR624GU router (wifi b/g). I tried WPA2 at first, but it was very patchy. I then tried WPA and it works fine.
5. Enjoy your iTunes Library!!

I'm not entirely sure if ATV would remember your homesharing settings if you had to turn it off from the wall... maybe 75% sure it will though, so perhaps you could take the ATV somewhere with internet, register it for homesharing, then bring it back to your place with no internet access and it'll still work.

Good luck!
hYu

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Register the Apple TV or the iMac, or iTunes ????????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Register the Apple TV or the iMac, or iTunes ????????

I think he means you need to authorize the ATV to access your account data/purchased content. Once it is added to the list internet access is no longer required to stream content. My assumption is that the computer where iTunes resides keeps a list of iTunes authorized devices and once the device is on the list it stays until it's deauthorized. Explains why you got it to work and I didn't in that hotel some time back.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That makes perfect sense to me, thanks. Hey, on another note, I plugged my iPad into a HDMI port on my big TV tonight and it shut off my iPad. Scared me like I thought it fried it. I kept pushing a combination of buttons and finally got it to come back on. I was going to see if I could display Google Earth on my TV with my iPad.

Reaction score
Work around for offline apple tv

After reading previous posts found work around which works. I used my iPhone to create personal hotspot that enabled me to connect devices and log apple tv into iTunes account. Disconnected hotspot and continues to work.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds great. I actually made it work in my camper trailer on music, but I had to be connected to internet to get the movies to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.