help required by new mac user..

Reaction score
firstoff complete computer illiterate alert - hello i have bought secondhand a g5 imac - i want to connect it wirelessly to the internet - how do i do this....have tried looking it up and have read airport card / airport extreme /airport base..........help???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
firstoff complete computer illiterate alert - hello i have bought secondhand a g5 imac - i want to connect it wirelessly to the internet - how do i do this....have tried looking it up and have read airport card / airport extreme /airport base..........help???

Your iMac needs to have an Airport card installed in it. Once this is confirmed...then you need a wireless router (just about any brand, doesn't have to be Apple).

Then of course everything needs to be configured properly so the iMac's Airport card can communicate with the wireless router.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks nick - another question..

nick appreciate the help....any idea of cost for this...house already has a wireless router that family use for laptop - so i just need the card and installation of card..any clues???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
nick appreciate the help....any idea of cost for this...house already has a wireless router that family use for laptop - so i just need the card and installation of card..any clues???

If you already have a wireless router...and if your iMac already has an Airport card in it...then the cost is ZERO!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Your iMac G5 uses this model of airport card:
airport_extreme_card.jpeg

You can buy it from here: Amazon.com: Apple M8881LL/A AirPort Extreme Card: Electronics

or possibly from Ebay or Craigslist for less money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.