Want Basic Image Editor. iPhoto not Work as Lack Disk Space.

Reaction score
iPhoto tries to capture my entire large image library and then tells me there's not enough memory to do it. *** !? There's no way to select single images! The people who design these programs must be total retards who are out-of-touch with the real world (or ex-Microsoft). Had a look at Gimp and Paintbrush here but they were brain damage for the simple tools I need.

I only want to pixelate or colour-out faces (for anonymity) on a few selected images on my desktop. Would prefer freeware / shareware but am prepared to pay for a cheapish image-editing program. Any suggestions from established Mac users? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try Pixelmator currently being sold in the Mac App store for $29.99.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I love the GIMP but it's such a doggone headache to get running in OS X or I would have recommended it. It's actually a very powerful program similar to Photoshop.

Reaction score
I love the GIMP but it's such a doggone headache to get running in OS X or I would have recommended it. It's actually a very powerful program similar to Photoshop.

Yes I noticed a few issues such as opening files, and finding external hard drives when importing images. Used to be good, I hope somebody is on this over at GIMP cause the program pretty good.

Also @OP, photoshop elements is a good alternative as well.

C

chas_m

iPhoto tries to capture my entire large image library and then tells me there's not enough memory to do it. *** !? There's no way to select single images! The people who design these programs must be total retards who are out-of-touch with the real world (or ex-Microsoft).

No, they're not. The problem, to be blunt, is you. You don't (or didn't) understand that iPhoto is not primarily an image editor, it's primarily an image ORGANISER. Ergo, it's function is to capture and catalog an image library, while retaining some basic editing tools as a convenience.

In the "real world" as you call it, people with "large image libraries" actually do appreciate having such a program around, it's insanely useful. Incidentally, iPhoto doesn't automatically import images; it has to be told to do this (except for when a camera is plugged in, but even that is easily turned off in preferences if you want). So again, this is likely to be a problem that exists between the computer and the chair if you get my drift.

You're not going to get very far with Macs (or any other sort of computer) if you make incorrect assumptions about what apps do and then blame them when they don't do what you imagined they would. It's not like Apple makes iPhoto's purpose and functionality secret.

I second the recommendation for Pixelmator, but I encourage you to get in the habit of doing at least a minimal minimal amount of research, particularly when you're going to buy something; it will save you a lot of grief in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
iPhoto tries to capture my entire large image library and then tells me there's not enough memory to do it. *** !? There's no way to select single images!

Are you saying File-->"Import to Library..." isn't allowing you to select individual images? Really? Works find here in iPhoto 09.

The people who design these programs must be total retards who are out-of-touch with the real world (or ex-Microsoft).

No. Programs are designed to do specific things. iPhoto is a library management tool and basic photo editor. The editing capabilities affect the over all image being edited. For your indicated requirements, you need a pixel level editor, such as those already suggested.

I was going to talk about your ignorance displayed in your post, but I think chas_m nailed it. Rather than attacking others when you don't understand something, turn that frustration into questions. Ignorance is curable with an open mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
You can just drag the image you want to mess with to the iPhoto icon and that image, and only that image, will be imported into iPhoto. Problem? What problem?

OP
T
Reaction score
Another alternative for a great editing program is Gimp. GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

It is a free open source app that is rather robust.

GIMP ... what a joke! No explanations for icons and no marked pixelation tool. I got a life a long time ago and don't want to spend it reading manuals. If a program doesn't label, in English, which tools do what, it isn't getting my support or money.

iPhoto does allow for single-image imports. However, by default when first opened, it tried to duplicate all my images and clog-up my hard drive. Anyone with even the crudest photographic experience knows that you only want the very best of the best images before you even think about manipulating them. Steve Jobs, the fanatical vegetarian who loves killing himself with his diet, clearly doesn't get it.

iPhoto has a crude unsharpening/anonymity tool called 'Retouch' which does, more or less, what I wanted, even though it wasn't its prime function.

iPhoto's red eye tool is a joke which leaves blue panda-eyes which can't be removed. I've seen a few duff red-eye tools in my time but this one takes the biscuit!

I expect better than this from Apple. I shouldn't have to pay for extra programs to perform such basic functions as red eye, cropping and pixelation -- which is all 99% of users need anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
I guess it's settled then...;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
iPhoto's red eye tool is a joke which leaves blue panda-eyes which can't be removed. I've seen a few duff red-eye tools in my time but this one takes the biscuit!

You've got the size set wrongly. Try changing the size to manual and adjusting. Works just fine for the rest of us.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.