Wireless Keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
I'm considering buying the Apple Wireless Keyboard to carry with my iPad on business trips so I can leave my MacBook Pro at home but have some questions:

1 - Is it a Bluetooth keyboard?
2 - Does it work with both the iPad and iPhone 4?
3 - Will I have to "configure" it to separate devices?
4 - Does it have an Off/On switch or is it "On" all the time?

Thank you very much for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. Yes

2. With the iPad yes. Can't say if it does with an iPhone.

3. Yes, (maybe) :)

4. Yes, you can turn it off to save battery power.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use my Apple Wireless BT keyboard from time to time with my iPad. Works great. You have to pair it with the iPad, but after that works great.

I have it paired with my iMac and iPad. Works fine as long as both are not on at the same time, then the first system to boot up grabs the keyboard! :D

OP
billwill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
Bluetooth Keyboard

Thanks for your responses. I'll be buying one soon!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I use my Apple Wireless BT keyboard from time to time with my iPad. Works great. You have to pair it with the iPad, but after that works great.

I have it paired with my iMac and iPad. Works fine as long as both are not on at the same time, then the first system to boot up grabs the keyboard! :D

I have thought about using my Apple Wireless KB with my iPad too. But what about the TrackPad? Any usability with iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
As an alternative, especially if your traveling light is the Zagg BT Keyboard, that doubles as a case for the iPad. iPad Folio Case With Keyboard | iPad 2 Folio Cover | ZAGGfolio

I have the first iteration of this keyboard, and it works great, although the keys are close together. I will be getting the second one in a week or so. I like this solution because it is less bulky than the Apple wireless keyboard. I do like the Apple wireless keyboard, but for traveling, I think for saving space, this could be a great alternative.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just to throw this out there - I recently tried out an iPad with this keyboard/case from Logitech. The nice thing about it over the Apple BT keyboard is not only is it a case (I can't really speak to how well it protects against drops and bumps) but it is also a keyboard specifically designed for use with the iPad. Being an iPad specific keyboard, it has iPad specific buttons such as a home button which doesn't sound all the impressive but is nice to have if you don't want to take your hand off the keyboard.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Van, I also own Apple Keyboard/Dock for the iPad. The Home key does come in handy so as you said, you don't have to take your fingers off the keyboard. Really saves time sometimes.

Only Negative with me on the Apple one is you have to have the iPad in Portrait mode. I much prefer it in Landscape. Apps so much larger with way more room to display. So that Logitech set might be worth looking into for serious mobile use of the iPad.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have thought about using my Apple Wireless KB with my iPad too. But what about the TrackPad? Any usability with iPad?

No, I tried my Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse. Nothing. They show up in BT I think but do nothing. I am guessing IOS does not have any mouse support.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
No, I tried my Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse. Nothing. They show up in BT I think but do nothing. I am guessing IOS does not have any mouse support.

Thanks, good to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
Just to throw this out there - I recently tried out an iPad with this keyboard/case from Logitech.

This was the first iteration I was referencing. Works like a charm.

C

chas_m

I can confirm that the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard (which is the only wireless keyboard they currently sell, the aluminum one) works with Macs, iPads and iPhone 4s (and presumably the latest generation of iPod Touch).

The magic trackpad cannot work with an iDevice because iDevices don't run an OS that supports mouse input, which is essentially what the trackpad is for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.