MacBook Pro 5,1 Superdrive SATA connector fail?

Reaction score
Hi, first post... couldn't find an answer.
I've been running a Seagate 750GB HDD in the optical drive bay (using OWC data doubler) and an OWC 128GB SSD in the drive bay for 3 months. All absolutely perfect and extremely fast.
Suddenly the HDD seemed to fail right out of the blue so I've sent it back under warranty (3 months of use). Inaccessible, could not format etc.
However I've since put the SSD in the data doubler slot and things are not good. It won't boot (folder and question-mark icon), then it will boot if I hold down 'option' key during boot up and select the SSD, then it hangs with the beach ball after, say, 15 mins and has to be hard rebooted.
SSD is back in the hard drive bay now... this setup is running fast and fine.
My question before I receive my Seagate HDD replacement and restore my data are there any ideas of the likely problem?
It seems likely that perhaps the drive wasn't the issue. Doing a bit of googling it seems the superdrive SATA connector cable may suddenly be faulty? Or the connection to the logic board is not perfect (looking at at, it did not seem 100 flush/flat, but it WAS clicked in position)? Or, could it be the logic board? But if it is the logic board would the disc even run at all (as mentioned, it did, for a short while).
Appreciate your thoughts on this.
Best

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would wait until the new RMA drive from Seagate arrives before jumping to any conclusion about the SATA connector or logic board. If the same problem occurs with the new Seagate, we can give it a closer look on what to do.

Hard drives fail. Yours may have failed prematurely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.