Are Macs Really Better for Digital Photography, Compared to a Windows Build

Reaction score
Realise i might get burnt with this question, but i'm trying to gather knowledge to make an informed decision... so here goes.

Mac Vs Windows
I'm confused. Wondering if I can gauge the community opinion please.

I'm looking to invest in next PC, but want to get something that best compliments my wife's new business (Digital Photography).

It turns out that virtually every arty-type photographer on the planet has decided to go for an Apple product.

The thing I don't understand is why?!

On paper, it seems that if you go for an Apple product it looks like you pay double the price for a lower spec machine (compared to a windows self build).

Is there really some hidden magic in Apple products that make them better for photography etc, or is it just maketing genius?

Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Realise i might bet burnt with this question, but i'm trying to gather knowledge to make an informed decision... so here goes.

Mac Vs Windows
I'm confused. Wondering if I can gauge the community opinion please.

I'm looking to invest in next PC, but want to get something that best compliments my wife's new business (Digital Photography).

It turns out that virtually every arty-type photographer on the planet has decided to go for an Apple product.

The thing I don't understand is why?!

On paper, it seems that if you go for an Apple product it looks like you pay double the price for a lower spec machine (compared to a windows self build).

Is there really some hidden magic in Apple products that make them better for photography etc, or is it just maketing genius?

Thanks

The PC vs Mac thing has been done to death! If you are interested in rehashing the pros and cons do a forum search.
Having said that I will note a few things (not neccessarily in any order):

1) The Mac is a PC (Intel processor, runs Windows or Linux if you wish)
2) Most pro photographers that I know run Adobe products (which are available in Windows or Mac versions-can also crossgrade)
3) FWIW the members of this forum are about 50% IT and related techs and engineers (I know, I did a survey a few weeks ago). Not a group likely to buy underspeced equipment for more money
4) Macs are about four things a) The OS (this is the key) b) Customer service (Apple tends to take care of its customers) c) Build quality (the actual cost differential for similarly equipped machines is really more like $100 d) It just works (yes there are problems, but not anywhere near the problems typical of Windows based life--trust us, we know. Most of us use both, or all three--I have a Linux box too).

Best thing to do is visit an Apple Store and let your wife try them out, Macs aren't for everyone. If she does decide to go that way Apple has a no questions asked 14 day return policy.

HTH
Razormac

Reaction score
Im a pro Photographer, and I only use my mac for all my photo work. There are a few reasons. One I have a few Pc's and I don't trust them one bit. Two when tuned, the Mac always prints true to color where as my Pc always seems to have to be readjusted and 3 I run all my software at once on my Mac and she handles great. The Mac's seem to be my iron horse that I can always rely on. My pc's, well I use mainly just for internet and music. Go mac for media and design. They wont let you down.

Ps That is just my opinion. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Honest answer, no. I know plenty of professional photographers who run Win machines using Photoshop, Lightroom or other things such as Capture One. It's not a matter of what is better for photography, because either OS will run these programs wonderfully.

The issue is: Which OS do you prefer. I prefer OS X, and used to be a Windows guy. When I was running Windows, I never had any viruses, and can recall only being caught with one Trojan or so. Spyware, malware and all the crud that comes along with making sure they don't spread, that's another story. I don't ever have to mess with any of that now, and that's a great benefit. A real time saver.

My workflow is a lot more efficient in the OS X environment, that's the truth. Could I work with PS and Lightroom on a Windows box? Absolutely. Do I want to? No, I've no desire to. Don't confuse one thing with another. If you're comfy with Windows, that's your answer.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Working in both the corporate and retail markets, I've seen a lot over the years. I think the thing that sells most photographers on Macs, at least the ones I've seen in the store, is the first time you connect their camera to a Mac, and without any 3rd party drivers, without any prep at all, the camera loads the images right into iPhoto - their eyes just light up! Most of these folks have come from a Windows environment where the expectation upon adding a new device, like a camera, would be dread and frustration at having to load drivers, support software, deal with hardware conflicts, etc. Yeah, sometimes Windows works first shot... and sometimes (more often than not in my experience) it doesn't.

Reaction score
Being a pro photographer myself and working on both machines myself; I've found that Mac is an overall better machine.
I mainly use Photoshop and I've found that the work flow is much smoother on Mac rather than windows. Processing time is also noticeably faster on Mac.
Iphoto is amazing! When trying to organize a large amount of pictures.

I will say that the learning curve of getting used to Mac vs. Windows is pretty steep. It took me a few weeks to figure out how to "re-learn" everything as far as navigation, storage areas, etc. I didn't try to adapt my MBP to Windows, when I decided to make the jump over to Mac; I made it and never looked back.

My personal recommendation would be Go Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I'm a keen amateur photographer and one of the main reasons I have abandoned Windows is because, post XP, I loathed the way it imported photos and the difficulty of getting material to albums. Even without additional software, I get much more from basic iphoto than any preloaded Windows photo programmes - and it lets me import only the images I want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Are Macs Really Better for Digital Photography, Compared to a Windows Build

Actually, I find a camera is best of all for Digital Photography.

Sorry, couldn't resist that!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Actually, I find a camera is best of all for Digital Photography.

Sorry, couldn't resist that!

And with so many comedians out of work . . . .. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.