Windows Preventing OSX File Changes

Reaction score
I have files on my Mac that I would like to transfer to my new PC using a USB disk that I recently created a NTFS partition on in Windows 7, but some setting in the way my PC is managing disks makes it so I receive this notice on my Mac when I try to modify files:

The item "..." could not be moved because "..." cannot be modified.

How do I make it so my Windows account will let me make changes on this USB disk partition and any future partitions (Mac or PC)?

I've clicked through the obvious looking settings regarding sharing and security and I still can't figure out how to make it so I can make changes on the disk that was formatted NTFS in Windows 7..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you search this forum you'll find many hits on this issue... but here's a quick overview:

- OSX can natively read but not write to NTFS formatted drives
- to solve this you can either, change something on OSX to allow it to write
or you change the format of the drive

If you have files where no individual file is greater than 4gb in size just re-formatted the drive as FAT32. OSX can read and write to this

If this is no use to you or you feel you must use NTFS then search this forum for more.

Personally I use Paragon NTFS as it's always worked for me and I've never had an issue with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.