mac book pro mac mini, good combo??

Reaction score
Hello I use a pc for school and lets just say it sucks. So I had the idea of using my new 2011 13 inch mac book pro for school with vmware fusion and windows 7 for the virtual machine. I am a mac freak and I was wondering if I should get a mac mini to store all of my programs and stuff for school so I can keep my personal stuff on my computer and my school stuff for a mac mini. Is that overkill? And if I should get a mac mini then which one? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's certainly nothing wrong with having both machines. But keep in mind if you do buy a Mini in addition to the MBP, you'll also need to buy a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. (unless you already have them)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Not really sure what you would gain by adding the MacMini (I have and use one BTW along with my 15in MBP). In my case I use the Mini to drive a 27in Monitor for Photo work and also to serve as a print server and scanning workstation.
If all you want do is provide seperation between work (school stuff) and play (everything else), why not set up two different user accounts on your MBP? If HD space is an issue you can upgrade your internal HD or add an external.

OP
J
Reaction score
I see now how would I do that I would think that getting a mac mini would be easier but this sounds a lot better how do I create two separate mbp accounts???

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Not on my Mac so I can't do a screen shot. But go to

Preferences > Users

And then + to add User Accounts (may have to click on the lock icon to allow changes if it is locked)

You can access Preferences either by clicking on the Apple icon in the Toolbar and selecting Preferences from the Menu, or by clicking on the Gear Icon in the Dock (shortcut to Preferences).

Extremely easy to do and manage. FWIW in college if you are going to allow friends to use your Mac you need to set up a guest account anyway to avoid them messing something up on your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Drive and Mac Pro (Early 2009)16GB RAM 2TB x4 Hard Drive
I think you better upgrade MBP's internal Hard drive as much as you can and use MBP in "closed clamshell" or "closed display" mode while u at home. it will work similar to mac mini save lots of bucks

read more in apple support
Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

btw Apple said you can up grade your MBP's hard drive up to 750GB 'coz 1TB is thicker. That's why Apple recommend 750GB. Well... I saw many youtuber can put 1TB 2.5inch hard drive in their MBP unibody without modifying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.