OS X Lion - Safari Freeze Ups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB, 320 GB, OSX 10.7.3; TC - 500 GB; iPhone 4S; iPod Nano
So at least once a day, sometimes more, my mid-2010 MBP freezes in Safari. This is ever since I installed Lion. I'm not doing anything besides browsing Facebook or espn.com. Maybe I have Mail and/or iTunes on in the background usually. I installed the Lion upgrade last week, hoping this would fix my freeze ups, but it appears to be even worse now. Any advice? Is this a common issue for others?

Thanks for the feedback :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like your MBP was having freeze ups before you installed Lion. Upgrading the OS is not going to cure the freeze ups as you found out.

Break out your original install - recovery DVD and run the Apple Hardware Test on the machine. See this LINK.

Freeze ups are almost always caused by hardware. It could be your hard drive or something else. Post back the results of the AHT.

Also, if your mid 2010 MBP is still under warranty or extended Apple care, you might want to make an appointment with your local Apple Store and take it on in and let them look at it.

OP
jpjones
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB, 320 GB, OSX 10.7.3; TC - 500 GB; iPhone 4S; iPod Nano
Thank you for the quick response (rep up :)). I'm going to start the AHT now and post back results. My MBP is still under warranty too.

OP
jpjones
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ran the AHT extended test on loop overnight. After 10 passes, no problems were found. Any other advice? Thanks.

Reaction score
I'm experiencing similar issues since updating to 10.7.1. freezes where the mouse will pan the screen but unable to do anything. just finished AHT and all appears well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I ran the AHT extended test on loop overnight. After 10 passes, no problems were found. Any other advice? Thanks.

The next step would be to take it on in to Apple and let them diagnose it. If it's something more complex (graphics chipset possibly) they'll be able to find it. If you have the time and patience, you might want to run a verify and repair from Disk Utility. However, that means booting the machine again from the install DVD and running Disk Utility from there.

However, if it is the hard drive acting up intermittently, it'll have to be changed out anyway. Let Apple do that under the warranty. One more thing... before taking it on in to Apple, make a backup of all your data to an external hard drive if you have one. Use Time Machine.

Let us know how it turns out.

OP
jpjones
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ran disk utility. First I clicked Repair Disk, and it said volume Macintosh HD appears ok. Next I clicked Verify Permissions, and several issues came up: something similar to: users/share.., library/imagecapture..., and library/printdrivers... I then clicked Repair Permissions.

So I guess I'll see if I keep getting the freeze ups now. If so, I will take the MBP up to the Apple Store.

Thank you for all of your help!

Reaction score
I have a mid 2010 MBP that has been crashing also. Bought in Jan. of 2011.
It did so with Snow Leopard also. I upgraded to Lion and 7.1
and still 2x a day crashes. Only the power button gets me out.
Good thing I put in an SSD so reboots are fast : )
I think it's a flash problem of some sort or something Apple doesn't want me downloading.

BTW, I'm new to the forum. I hope I can learn a lot.

-Anthony

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.