New Mac Came Today REPLACED HDD

Reaction score
So I just got my 2011 Macbook pro and before even plugging it in I replaced the hd with a vertex 3... now since I didn't get a CD whats my best method of attack for installing the OS on the new SDD?

External enclosure to close to SDD?

Is there a way to retrieve information from current drive to use on an "alternatively" acquired copy of the OS disk? Since i do actually ahve a legit copy.

Thanks in advance!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I just got my 2011 Macbook pro and before even plugging it in I replaced the hd with a vertex 3... now since I didn't get a CD whats my best method of attack for installing the OS on the new SDD?

External enclosure to close to SDD?

Is there a way to retrieve information from current drive to use on an "alternatively" acquired copy of the OS disk? Since i do actually ahve a legit copy.

Just so we're clear...are you saying you just purchased & received a brand new 2011 MacBook Pro from the Apple...and it came with no OS DVD's?

What OS is installed on the HD...a version of 10.6...or 10.7?

If 10.7...you may want to:

- reinstall the HD that came with it
- download the OS 10.7 install file from the Mac App Store
- burn a boot/install disk of 10.7
- remove your original HD
- install the SSD
- boot the computer from the OS 10.7 boot/install disk you made
- format the SSD for a Macintosh
- install OS 10.7 on the SSD

If your computer came with OS 10.6 (let us know the exact version)...then we can discuss that.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Nick's instructions are pretty spot on, but you can boot to the recovery partition on the original drive and reinstall Lion to the SSD. There is no media included on 10.7 loads, so the old drive will have to come into play to get things going.

OP
B
Reaction score
I believe it came with 10.6, but if it will allow me to burn a bootable disk when i upgrade that sounds best to me..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I believe it came with 10.6, but if it will allow me to burn a bootable disk when i upgrade that sounds best to me..

If it shipped with 10.6 (Snow Leopard) you should have the gray colored DVD's. OS X 10.7 (Lion) does not ship with media. If this is a machine ordered new from Apple and not a refurb model it more than likely has 10.7.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well...knowing the exact OS that came with it might help.;) But if it did come with OS 10.6 on the HD...it's probably OS 10.6.6. If this is the case...go to your local Apple Store (or order online)...and purchase an OS 10.6 install disk ($29). But make sure that it's version OS 10.6.6 or later (10.6.8 is the last version of 10.6).

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

By the way...you didn't answer the question about if you bought this 2011 MacBook Pro brand new from Apple. If it shipped with OS 10.6...I really think that is should have come with the gray/silver OS install & hardware test DVD's.

If you purchased this computer via another method...then this may explain why you don't have any disks (unless the computer actually came with OS 10.7).

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Nick, See above.. I bought refurbished and expected it would be shipped with 10.6 but it actually had 10.7 installed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I'm wrong it came with 10.7..

Ok, that helps. Below would be your process to install Lion on your SSD

1) Boot to original hard drive
2) Create USB key (Utility download from Apple)
3) Boot to USB
4) Install Lion on SSD

or

1) Hook up original hard drive via USB
2) Boot to recovery partition (Hold option key)
3) Choose Disk Utility
4) Partition and format SSD (GUID Partition table, Journaled FS)
5) Choose Install Lion from Utility menu
6) Install to SSD
7) Done....

OP
B
Reaction score
Johncl, what is the usb key utility?

dtravis, i never downloaded the software from the apple store..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis, i never downloaded the software from the apple store..

I mentioned back in post #2 that you need to download the OS 10.7 install file from the Mac App Store. This is a way to create a 10.7 boot disk.

Another idea (I'm not 100% about this)...but if you got a brand new MacBook Pro from Apple with OS 10.7...it's possible that the OS 10.7 file you need to burn a boot disk may already be on your original HD.

But in any case...since you just got this computer with 10.7...you should be able (or entitled) to a free download of OS 10.7 from the Mac App Store so you can make a 10.7 boot disk. You need a Mac App Store account code to do this...if you don't have one...call Apple about it.

But like I mentioned...check your original HD to see if you already have the OS 10.7 install file.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
When I look at lion in the app store it just says Installed, no option to download..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Oops. Right since you did not purchase it. Will have to search a bit more.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lions not under my purchased items..

I think that you're being a bit difficult...and not paying attention to detail to what's already been suggested & posted.

I mentioned previously that you need to contact Apple. Since you have never purchased 10.7...there's no way to download it again. But since you just purchased a new MacBook Pro with 10.7 on it (and you need to install 10.7 on your SSD)...you should be able to download it for free (but you have to contact Apple...and they should give you a code or online credit or something).

I also previously suggested that...maybe...the OS 10.7 install file you need may already be on your MacBook Pro's HD. Have you checked??? You haven't replied saying whether or not you checked...and whether or not the file is on your HD!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.