microsoft office for mac 2011

Reaction score
I receive many pdf files in email. My mac will not recognize them, so I bought office for mac thinking that would solve the problem. What do we need to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Have you loaded the free Adobe reader??

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Preview should be able to read most pdf files - but if for some reason it can't - download the Adobe reader as JohnCL suggests.

Now that you have Office for Mac - you can create your own .pdfs, I'm not 100% positive, but I'm not sure that Word can actually open .pdf files. I know it can't here in Window (Office 2007) I just tried.

C

chas_m

I receive many pdf files in email. My mac will not recognize them, so I bought office for mac thinking that would solve the problem. What do we need to do?

Bit of strange logic there ... Microsoft has nothing to do with PDF format, which was created by Adobe.

Macs can read all unencrypted PDF files by default, so I'm guessing there's some kind of user error going on here unless you are receiving certain kinds of very high-end or encrypted PDFs. Macs can also create PDFs by default, no extra software needed for garden-variety PDFs.

If you can, I'd return the MS Office if you only bought it to read PDFs. If you are getting some sort of "special format" PDFs, then Adobe's free Reader app will handle them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
My Mac has not found a PDF that it cannot read natively. It just works!!
I agree with chas_m, something does not make sense here. Office has no bearing on PDF's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.