New ibook scratches on LCD from keyboard!!! defect?

H

htyped

Anyone having this problem with their lcd screen? I see 4 vertical scratches which match up to where the keyboard keys are at once the screen is shut.

The ibook is only a few days old and these scratches are really buggin me. Does anyone know if Apple has addressed this yet since it's so new?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
that happens if you push down a bit on the screens with all the apple laptops. i just went out and bought a neoprene keyboard cover that fits on the keyboard for when i close it

OP
H

htyped

That sucks!!! I wish I had known that so I could have looked out for it before getting the scratches.

Anyone know if the iskin products work well for protecting the screen and keyboard?

New Switcher which is why I don't know any of this stuff. Grew up using Dos and Windows, first Apple.

OP
B

Bluecrabby

My 12" iBook has the same problem, but they're not actually scratches, but rather marks made by the oils on your skin, a good rubbing with eyeglass cleaner will take them right off.

OP
H

htyped

Actually . . . mine was a deep scratch that couldn't be taken off. The ibook was less than 4 days old when I noticed it so I took it to an Apple store and they replaced it. I'm going to just have to watch out for it now.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am cheap, I use a small piece of silk cloth and my wife uses the little insert that came with her iBook.

OP
H

Hooligan

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to Macs. I bought an iBook G4 12.1 a few days ago and I've noticed the same thing. I'm a student and I carry my Mac everywhere I go. Do they all do this? I thought maybe it was because I installed the Airport card and I put something in wrong.

I'm definitely interested in the screen protector.

andrew

OP
L

lmann

When I saw that for the first time i couldn't imagine that Apple could be the producer of such a product, and to my enlightenment i found out that they are not schratches, try wiping your display clean with a moist cloth and dry it of. Don't be affraid to push too hard, however don't force it. Maybe it won't help and they actually are scratches - but try it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.