Lion OS and AOL

Reaction score
Has anyone had any difficulty with their Mail not being able to email AOL accounts after updating to Lion OS? All of my email to AOL accounts have had delivery failure.

Reaction score
AOL Desktop and Lion

Has anyone had any difficulty with their Mail not being able to email AOL accounts after updating to Lion OS? All of my email to AOL accounts have had delivery failure.

Yes, yes and yes! AOL Desktop does NOT work with Lion, and there is no :Grimmace::Grimmace:one issuing a fix! Desktop crashes, quits, is useless. How do we get AOL to address this problem? Apple support says its up to AOL to make their system compatible with Lion. I am not a paying member of AOL, so I can't call their support line, but I gave feedback to them today. What are we Mac users with Lion and AOL supposed to do? All my business email addresses are on AOL. I am using my iPhone and Blackberry to access and write mail, ridiculous, and I can't get to my FOLDERS and saved mail on my laptop!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do you not have any alternatives to AOL? Using ISP's that require you run some archaic, hardly updated software to get onto the Internet is always going to be a problem..

All modern ISP's just give you a modem that gets you on the Internet and it works regardless of the OS, device and so on..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You mean people actually still install that virus on their computers?
I thought that went out by the end of the 90s.

You still have to use their software to access your mail?
or
They still don't allow access to mail via a browser?

(I don't even like typing their name.)

Reaction score
AOL on Lion: using other ISP s

Do you not have any alternatives to AOL? Using ISP's that require you run some archaic, hardly updated software to get onto the Internet is always going to be a problem..

All modern ISP's just give you a modem that gets you on the Internet and it works regardless of the OS, device and so on..
The problem is we started using AOL years ago. It is on my business cards, colleagues all over the world have these email addresses, utilities, credit cards, etc. It would be a nightmare to change. I use other mails like g mail etc.for junk mail. With the increasing popularity of Macs it would seem to me that AOL could update it's version and issue a fix for Lion.
If you use email addresses in business for years, it is very confusing to change. Social email is different.
I don't like desktop, I preferred the older version which may not run on Lion either, and AOL has quirks and issues, but at least it WORKED. Most third applications update when computer OS are updated.
Time Warner to my knowledge does not provide email, but that is not important. I'm sure there are a lot of AOL users who will be impacted by this incompatibility, who don't want to drop AOL.
I probably should have waited before upgrading to Lion until I saw what the problems were going to be. That's my usual MO lol!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most people with business usually setup a domain for that business with associated email addresses even if they don't want a web page. You could also set AOL up to just forward all of your e-mail to another more accessible e-mail address and perhaps send back a nice auto-response with your new e-mail address..

You might not be able to migrate over to a new e-mail address in a day, but with slow steps it might be possible to not be pinned down to one address, and for businesses, long term you're better of with your business-oriented address anyway..

Reaction score
mac lion and AOL

I was awfully discouraged by erratic behavior of AOL since lion --- and by so the posts describing similar experiences. Worried I might need to uninstall it. Instead, I spent some time w/ apple phone support this am. They were great help (free since lion purchased less than 90 days ago). It did take some time and had to repeat some of the fixes, but I followed patient and helpful tech's instructions (yea! maurice) and AOL now working perfectly.

Reaction score
what was the fix?

I've been using AOL since there were only 600,000 subscribers. I have been using AOL for Mac Desktop all year including through the Lion upgrade without much trouble. I hate the lack of support for AOLMac. All of a sudden, 3 days ago -- I can hardly use AOL. I get the spinning gear and can't move mail to folders. I can delete mail and open mail IF I don't try to move mail. Once I try to move mail I can no longer read or delete.

What was done that worked for you?

TIA

Reaction score
Lion and AOL

I was awfully discouraged by erratic behavior of AOL since lion --- and by so the posts describing similar experiences. Worried I might need to uninstall it. Instead, I spent some time w/ apple phone support this am. They were great help (free since lion purchased less than 90 days ago). It did take some time and had to repeat some of the fixes, but I followed patient and helpful tech's instructions (yea! maurice) and AOL now working perfectly.
It's great that you got it to work, now would you mind sharing what they made you do so that I can get mine to work too?
O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Wow. Get a domain (they are cheap these days) and set up a pop or IMAP server for your email. Go into your contacts and email them all with your new email address and explain that AOL Mail is no longer working out for you. How hard is that? Not. OR use gmail or yahoo. Though yahoo is awful with spam catching.
BTW can't you log into aol.com from an actual browser and sign into email from there?!

AOL Mail link

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. Get a domain (they are cheap these days) and set up a pop or IMAP server for your email. Go into your contacts and email them all with your new email address and explain that AOL Mail is no longer working out for you. How hard is that? Not. OR use gmail or yahoo. Though yahoo is awful with spam catching.
BTW can't you log into aol.com from an actual browser and sign into email from there?!

AOL Mail link

I think you're missing the point of the thread..the OP's and others are using AOL as their ISP and by extension, the mail available through that account.

Just as I could use my Comcast mail service for my mail but choose not.

The issue isn't about AOL's mail access as much as the Internet service, without which it's hard to get to GMail, Yahoo or ANYTHING else on the Internet..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.